Hand brake cable

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not very!

You've got your nuts next to the handbrake lever under the rubber boots- they need to be un-done, and that's the front loose.

The rear is harder to be fair. Get yourself a hub nut whacker, big torque wrench with a 46mm socket, torque tool etc., and undo the rear hub nut, jack up the back and wiggle the wheel drums off. I often leave the wheel rims and tyres on while I do this, gives you a good bit of purchase.

The next thing to do is pull the rubber conduit out from between the wheel hub and the chassis cable conduit. If you're working on the nearside, it's just to your left and depending on year, will probably just pull out. after that, unhook the hook end of the cable from the handbrake arm (inside the wheel drum) and pull the cable out. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Happystamps said:
Not very!

You've got your nuts next to the handbrake lever under the rubber boots- they need to be un-done, and that's the front loose.

The rear is harder to be fair. Get yourself a hub nut whacker, big torque wrench with a 46mm socket, torque tool etc., and undo the rear hub nut, jack up the back and wiggle the wheel drums off. I often leave the wheel rims and tyres on while I do this, gives you a good bit of purchase.

The next thing to do is pull the rubber conduit out from between the wheel hub and the chassis cable conduit. If you're working on the nearside, it's just to your left and depending on year, will probably just pull out. after that, unhook the hook end of the cable from the handbrake arm (inside the wheel drum) and pull the cable out. Installation is the reverse of removal.
Thanks for that I'll have a go tomorrow if it's not raining, how about adjustments?

Make sure the brakes are adjusted properly at the wheels with the handbrake off, then tighten the adjusting nuts at the base of the handbrake. Do this with the back wheels in the air so you can check when it comes on.

Happystamps said:
Make sure the brakes are adjusted properly at the wheels with the handbrake off, then tighten the adjusting nuts at the base of the handbrake. Do this with the back wheels in the air so you can check when it comes on.
All done, thanks very much for your help

Latest posts