'Hank' from Arizona

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike

Although they don't give a profile size I think they are 195/14's, I think they are 80 profile

I ask as they look very large compared against the fronts but mine are 195/75 R14's as shown on the link.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=4002&highlight=lowered

Fitting a matching pair will raise the front but as Tofufi states just make sure you have sufficent tyre clearance before you buy some.

May be a pain but measure the rear height from the floor to the lip on the arch. Then swap the front and the rears around and jack up the rear to the original height and you will get an idea as to what the same tyres all round will look and clearance.

Mike

Hank came with the other three tyres of the right size (2 fronts and the spare) so I intend to get these fitted back to the rims and will fit these and adjust the ride height to suit.

Yours looks just right, is the rear down 1 spline only as thats what I've been told mine is set to as well

Looks really nice Graham - welcome to EB!
Reckon you could fit your caterham on that roof rack :wink: (when you get another one) - in the mean time, hopefully catch up at a van meet sometime - mine is sooo close to getting on the road - no where near as nice condition as Hank, but one day....

Just done some research into Hank's history based on the chassis plate behind the drivers seat and the codes in the links section of this site.

Built 27 April 70
517 - Campmobile
697 - ?
523 907 - Pearl White
D26?
A67 - Westfalia Campmobile SO70
507 - Vent wings in Cab door
UF - Shipped to San Diego/USA
231021 - Kombi, 47hp, Manual

I think I've got all of them right

In addition he has a Westfalia Plate stating:
Plan 4963
Year 1970
Serial 0204809

Any idea what the plan refers to?

This might help you fill the gaps.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=4545&highlight=codes

Mike

Mike

Thanks I used the 'trust' site and the codes where I've got question marks are where they don't know!!

Although I think I've got his birthdate wrong I think it should be Thursday 25th June 1970 (27 4), anyone car to confirm this?

If you saw my plea for help on technical this morning you will know I was trying to raise Hank to a more sensible height on the front.

All now done and 195 x 14's back on the front (although the spare no longer fits in the wheelwell??)

Pictures of the creative adjusters and how he's now sat, all he needs now is a set of Radars and 185/65/15's :D :D

CreativeAdjusters.jpg

Sideshot195x14.jpg

front195x14.jpg

nsfront195x14.jpg

that ride height looks much better graham! although,not sure im correct here,but shouldnt the serations on the beam locate in the adjuster grooves?,also the top bolt doesnt look to be in the nylock part of the nut.that could cause it to slacken off.

Nice work dude. IMHO looks much better with sensible sized tyres on.

I'd agree with Steve though, the grooves in the swivelly adjuster plate should be lined up with the grooves on the adjuster ;)

Regarding the top one, as long as it is done up tight it'll be fine, nylock or not. ;)

Graham,

Make sure the adjusters are lined up correctly as in the pic they aren't.

Also check this out

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130191053988&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

Make sure they are Deffo the JGE ones and not Midlands !!!

Just read the other thread in Tech, glad they're not like that now :)

To be honest, I'm liking the stock wheels more than fancy alloys. They look good on your bus :)

Guys

Thanks for the input, the picture of the adjusters was taken whilst they were slackened off, don't worry they are now lined up correctly :lol:

Kempy

Whats wrong with the Midland Radars rather than the JGE ones?

Very long story.

Don't 100% quote me but basically MWS took the 2nd rate moulds that Java used for the wheels.

Java rejected them for poor quality etc......................

The final finish is not as good on the MWS and the lacquer tends to lift.

It's a bit like buting hub caps/bumpers. They both look the same yet one is always cheaper, however 9 times out of 10 the cheaper is made in brazil and lasts 5 minutes before it rusts.

Everyone likes a bargain but sometimes it's best to pay a little bit more at the start as it could end up saving you money.

Back to the wheels they have the JGE on them yet the MWS do also as the same mould but used to grind the logo down.

Hope this makes sense, but maybe someone could word better :?

sorry to butt in! but want new wheels for my van too. is it the same kind of story accross their whole range,or just the radars?

I've bought 2 or 3 sets of MWS wheels in the past, you can get a good deal at shows where they throw in centre caps, tyres and locking nuts, and the wheels are already balanced too, which is probably why so many people buy them.

What Kempy says about the Radar moulds is exactly what I'd heard too, and JGE weren't happy!

From my own experience their Empi 5-spokes are fine, and look great. However I bought a set of Gas Burners from them for my daily driver late bay and after a few months the polished rims started pitting, which I wasn't too impressed with.

I'd buy Empi 5-spokes from them again, but if I wanted Radars then I'd pay the extra and get JGE ones. Mind you the JGE Torkers are very cool..... 8) 8)

At the end of the day you get what you pay for...... :wink:

I have MWS srints on my bug, when bought the finish was flawless but since november they took alot of salt during the winter the lacquer has started to lift a little.

if you buy any polished wheels, i guess its not a good idea to take them out in shit weather or winter :cry: .

Latest posts