HEADLIGHT FLASHER QUESTION

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
I'm trying to get the headlight flasher to operate on my Jan 71 US LHD bay. I have put a new 5 pin relay and jumped the pin 30 to the white & black wire at the light switch.
When the lights & ignition are on, the relay clicks but it doesn't switch between high & low beam.
Also with the lights off it doesn't flash the lights.

Any suggestions?

I took mine apart. Cleaned contacts and greased switching mechanism. Was working okay before a took my bus to bits.

I've checked the resistance across the stalk switch at the connector between brown, brown & white wires. It's an open circuit until the switch is operated, then it reads just a few ohms. I've also made a new earth in case the old earth was dodgy as the old one goes around the dash before it finally earths.

Shouldnt pin 30 be connected to a permanent live at the fuse box. I think fuse 8 or 9 on a 71

All sorted. Constant live to terminal 30 & a fully charged battery.

Works perfectly now.

Thanks.

I'm a bit losted on this :roll: I've got a 1971 LHD and never had my flasher working on the indicator stalk.
So all I need to to do is move the black & white wire ( going from dimmer relay to light switch) and move it at the switch end from term 56 onto term 30 with the two reds??

Thanks

You need a new 5 pin relay. Then you wire it up exactly the same as the old relay but add a new live feed to pin 30. Take that from fuse 8 or 9.
The new relay is needed as the US buses never had the flash

https://vwheritage.mobi/productDetails.cfm?iItemID=59778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the relay you need.

As said, constant live feed from the fused side of the fuse box onto terminal 30 (the new spare terminal) & bobs your uncle. All other wires to the same old locations.

I'll try & upload a picture whilst I've got mine apart.

Cheers. I've already got the 5 pin relay so it's just the one wire to run then. Silly question but how the hell do you know where the 30 spade is? It's so tight where the fuse box is :?

Four of the terminals are in a square cluster & terminal 30 is out on its own. Easiest way to find it is to pull the relay out. Each of the terminals are numbered on the plastic base of the relay.
You'll have to unscrew the fuse box (3 screws - don't drop them!) & turn it round to get access - easily done.
It really is that simple!

Latest posts