Headlights Malfunctioning

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ppcondon

Reaction score
Hi All
First time posting here, hoping that this is not one of these issues no one else has encountered! I have a 1971 LHD Westy, recently while driving one night the dipped headlights failed, throwing us into complete darkness!! Funny thing is that when I put on full beam the full lights came on and worked perfectly for the the rest of the journey home, my worries about blinding oncoming traffic were completely unfounded!! Nervous about going out in the van after dark. Any advice is most welcome.
Regards
Peterc

i would check your bulbs first, could have blown both dips for some reason, other than that, check fuses, wiring/connectors and relay

Dips are on a seperate circuit each side up to the feed side of the fuse board, so that if a bulb goes the other side still works. However, both sides are fed by the same wire from the relay to the fuse board, so if the relay goes, both will go, and if the power to the relay goes, all lights will go (except sidelights).

I would suggest a couple of tests-

1- to test the relay. Pull the headlight relay out (it's the one that doesn't click when you put your indicators on :)), then using a piece of electrical wire*, connect terminal 56 and 56b (there are markings on the connector- might be quite faint). That essentially bypasses the relay. Lights turn on? You need a new headlight relay.

2- If that doesn't turn the lights on, the only other alternative is that the wiring from the relay to the fusebox connection is somehow duff. If you connect your jumper wire (relay still removed for access, but if you can do it with the relay in place then don't let me stop you) from that terminal 56, to either of the connectors for fuses 3 or 4 (L&R), both dipped lights should come on. If it doesn't turn the lights on, your wiring is most likely duff between fuses 3&4 (they're linked via a bus rail on the fuse box), and the relay holder.

*doesn't need to be the biggest wires in the world, but don't be daft. the thinner the wire, the hotter they get.

Latest posts