Heat Exchangers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roybird

Reaction score
I have a '72 Bay Cross Over and want to fit two new Heat Exchanges, do I have to remove the engine

No, it should all be accessible with the engine in place.
Only problems that may occurr is if a stud needs replacing which can be tricky in situ depending how its damaged. Do the prep by presoaking in PlusGas/WD40/Whatever in advance and maybe have a blowtorch handy to heat up the nuts if they are stuck.

Hi Clem
Thanks for that, I assume the stud you refer to is a fixing point for the exchanger, and the stud and nut are body located; if you have a picture that would be a great help as this octogenarian is a bit inflexible ;)

The mounting studs for the heat exchangers are on the cylinder heads at the flywheel end of the engine, they also mount to the exhaust which is bolted on studs to the cylinder head - these will all require undoing/removing in order to change the heat exchangers, along with the heat exchanger to exhaust circular clamps. If these have been fitted for a long while they are likely to be corroded and/or siezed and may snap off. Should they snap, and require drilling/tapping/replacing it can be difficult in situ, so best avoided.

The mounting studs for the heat exchangers are on the cylinder heads at the flywheel end of the engine, they also mount to the exhaust which is bolted on studs to the cylinder head - these will all require undoing/removing in order to change the heat exchangers, along with the heat exchanger to exhaust circular clamps. If these have been fitted for a long while they are likely to be corroded and/or siezed and may snap off. Should they snap, and require drilling/tapping/replacing it can be difficult in situ, so best avoided.

ALL steps should be taken to avoid shearing off cylinder-head exhaust-port studs that secure the exhaust heat-exchangers and/or exhaust-silencer or after-market 4-into-1 exhaust manifold!

Trying to remove broken screw-studs from an aluminium-alloy cylinder-head, using an "eaziout" stud-extractor, is likely to cause damage to the cylinder-head, which would be expensive to have repaired, requiring the hole to be repair-welded, drilled & retapped.

ALL steps should be taken to avoid shearing off cylinder-head exhaust-port studs that secure the exhaust heat-exchangers and/or exhaust-silencer or after-market 4-into-1 exhaust manifold!

Trying to remove broken screw-studs from an aluminium-alloy cylinder-head, using an "eaziout" stud-extractor, is likely to cause damage to the cylinder-head, which would be expensive to have repaired, requiring the hole to be repair-welded, drilled & retapped.
Last time I just used an oversized repair stud kit. No drama.

Latest posts