Hella Headlights and taillight lenses quality

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70-CA-Panel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Helloes,

I recently got a pair of Hella H4 headlights for a 73+ year for my 70 LHD and they look great quality, however they glass is flat, whereas my current glass is domed. Are there domed lenses for these lights? Where can I get them because these are from a big vendor.

Rear light lenses, again from Hella, look alright, but on closer inspection look cheaply made.
The colours red and orange are painted onto clear plastic not coloured plastic itself. The holes for the screws look haphazardly drilled, hope they fit. Has anybody come across this?

Does anybody have good original rear lenses for sale?

Thanks guys.

Andy

Have you fitted the headlights?, i'm looking to change mine and wondered if the later ones would work, have you a link to where you got them, cheers

the so called hella rear lights are crap at night the indicator colour is washed out yellow the brake light is washed out orange I got a nos pair of ebay with the backing unit also for ...........................................................................................................14.50 each could not believe it mind you the seller listed them as vw rear lights in his bicycle shop

The flat lens is one of several differences between the later and earlier headlights. Why did you decide to go for later ones?

Some of the NOS rear lights for sale on the web look to be the painted ones..

IKm installing the later versions because I have imported my LHD bus and need to refit RHD lights for the MOT in front and want to change over to amber indicators.

I have trial fitted one front light yesterday, looks so strange with a flat headlight. The holes in the retainer did not match up with the brackets in my new (brazillian made) front panel no surprise there, so will need to drill holes into the retainer ring.

Thanks for the heads up about the poor quality of the Hella rear lenses at night.
And that some so-called NOS lenses are also painted.

Are there any good used rear lenses about, who would like to sell?

Latest posts