Hello, and what do I have? - **Update on the bus**

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwards

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm Richard. I bought a early bus as a wedding present for the missus, as a bit of a project. I'm planning to strip and build the engine over the next few months, give it some white paint up top and then sort the interior. I've been told it has a 1600 engine from a beetle in, can anyone confirm this from the pic? One of the major jobs that needs doing is re-instating the heating as it has nothing at the moment. There are no levers on the dash, ducting or heat exchangers :roll:

Here's some pic's, I'm sure I'll have some questions soon enough :lol:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hello Richard, welcome to the forums.
That's a very blue Devon conversion you have there. :lol:
Have a look at the M code plate which should be mounted behind the left hand cab seat on the bulkhead.
Type the details as you see them on the plate into the correct year decoder, and it'll tell you a bit more about the van as it left the factory.

http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're right it is very blue :shock: I'm planning a bit of white, most likely from the midway bulge (below the windows) up.

Thanks for the link, I'll get a photo of the plate and see what it once was! My plan is to get fairly close to standard, so the cobra racing seats are coming out for some og front seats.

Evning mate, welcome along :)
Baught it for the missus eh? ;)
Nice looking Van by the way.
Start a build thread up in the gallery when you get started.
Looks like a good base to start with.

Rich 8)

I tried to get one with a sound body as my welding isn't the best :lol: Mechanical I can do though! I will start a project thread when I start, taking a big shopping list and camera to busfreeze this weeked to get pics and parts

Ok guys, the hunt for the m-plate is on! I have found the chassis plate, but need to remove some felt from behind the drivers seat for the m-plate.
I looked at the engine code it's AB218841. I've found one site that states it's a 1300, and another that states 1600, both seem to agree that it was a '70 - '73 built engine.

in the uk, AB was typically a 1300 engine. i *think* AB was used as a code for 1600s in the US, but i can't be sure- it seems kinda unlikely to me.
however, just because it has the code from a 1300, doesn't mean it is one- these engines get rebuilt a lot, and the only real way of knowing the engine size is to check out the piston bore... however you can get a good guess by checking out the carburettor type (on the left hand side of the float bowl) it will have 34pict/3 or similar on it if it's a 1600. 30pict/2 or similar if it's a 1300.

Had a bit of time on my hands so went out and had another look. According to the m-plate I bought a:

Model Type 2 (T2) mod. 224(0) :
- Microbus
- 8 seater (arrangement 2-3-3)
- Sliding door left
- RHD
Serial number 221 299
Modelyear 1971
Planned production date
Friday, 07 May 1971
Number for production planning
(temporary serial number) 7993
Type of engine Type 1 (AD) - 1584cc, 37 kW (50 bhp DIN)
Type of transmission Manual 4-speed gearbox
Color upper part : L90D - Pastel White
Color lower part : L53D - Niagara Blue
Interior color (doorpanels and seats) - 52 - Alabaster (grey) Leatherette

I checked the carb and all is has stamped on it is 'Dellorto' and 'DRLA 36', there's also a foil tab fixed to it which reads 'R 6216'

I think I need to do a bit more investigation as I need to find out what I have ready for the weekend's parts buying. As you said happystamps, these do get rebuilt, I guess I'll have to wait until I split the engine to find out for sure.

Thanks for your help so far guys, I hope this project is as exciting as I first thought and not a hell pit!

I found a load of ducting the other day if youre interested.

Your engine looks like a 1600 with a 2 brl. carb. Its definatly a 71. And... Its really got the blues. :D

It reeaaalllyyy does have the blues. :lol:

Thank Clem, what ducting do you have and what do you want for it? I'm off to busfreeze this weekend to pick up bits and pieces.

Also are the aftermarket heat exchanger kits any good? I've read that the VW ones are best as they have more fins, but would non-oe ones that have been heatwrapped do just as good a job?

I've found oe beetle heat exchangers for £45 each, which would need modifying to fit.

Thanks.

i'd go with the beetle exchangers. modifying them is just a case of flipping the arm on the control box. i use aftermarket exchangers on my bug, and it just doesn't get warm until you're really cranking it on the motorway. genuine ones are much better, and in this instance, cheaper! hooray!

The Beetle ones it is then! Managed to get a dash top trim from busfreeze auto jumble yesterday, didn't get to the show as it was changed to the Sunday only :evil: (don't ask!)

Can anyone advise me what to check on the heat exchangers? Obviously check the metal condition and function of the control box. Are these susceptible to any particular faults?

Thanks.

If they are not rusty and the flaps open and close properly. Also that the rear tube isnt to worried down. They do make a repair bit for that problem. Its much easier to do the heater box mods while the box is on the work bench. And the factory boxes make much better heat than the later Mex. or Danish version. Too bad they only have 1 3/8 in exhaust pipes running thru.I thought my bus was blue.
Buses011_resize.jpg

Then it was reinvented to the Uber-Bus. Just a little day glow rattle can.
ThenewLookUberBus004.jpg

Thought I'd post an update for you all. After sorting out the birth of my boy I can now get on with the camper ready for the summer. Took the engine out yesterday, it took a little longer than I expected, but it's out now along with the box..
picture.php

picture.php

Got the engine on the stand
picture.php

Took the exhaust off first, as it was sticking out from the stand. Had a bit of a shock when I removed the pipes, hopefully she'll breath a little easier once I'm done!
picture.php

Next job is to strip and clean the engine, then sort out the gear linkage bushes. Paint the engine bay, and refit.

Latest posts