HELP Dash board smoke

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bazzaworld

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help, I'll try to explain as simply as I can,
We took or bus out this morning and I noticed the fuel gauge was bouncing around then settling for a while before bouncing around again. Then this afternoon I took my young daughter for a short journey when all of a sudden smoke began bellowing out from the dash,I immediately turned off the ignition , jumped out and took the earth lead off the battery, I took off the steering wheel and dropped the dash foward and on closer inspection one of the wires from the fuel gauge and a wire from the ignition had completely burnt out, but because I was quick nothing else, it seems that one of the fuel gauge terminals is lose causing the wire to touch the dash(should be isolated) I replaced the wire from the ignition but left the fuel gauge unconnected for now , now I have nothing on the ignition side, no dash warning lights no wipers etc so obviously it won't turn over or start ,but everything else is working lights, radio, hazards etc I've checked all fuses and they seem ok
We ended up on the back of a lovely yellow AA truck much to the amusement of my nosey neighbours. Anyone have a clue??? :|

Sorry forgot to add, bus was Re wired by an auto electrician recommended by someone on here 6 months ago

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ignition switch will probably be burnt out.?
Double check your fuses before doing anything.
I had a similar problem with my 71 last year and ended up replacing the switch and wiring loom for the ignition. Bit of a fiddle but fixed my problem.
GSF sell them.

Barkafer you was correct, it was the ignition switch that had burnt out caused by a dodgy terminal on the fuel gauge

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts