help, engine not sounding too good me thinks

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swartie

Reaction score
Ok, my van has been going fine, but today i went to start her and the engine didnt want to turn over, almost felt seized, but then she turned over and started. Then while driving I noticed that when acclerating in any gear and i get to the point of changing up a gear the exhaust note changes turn a very deep growl which is strange. and aslo the power just doesnt seem to be there. I am in france now and will take it down to a vw garage (kombiporsche recomended) next week, i just cant handle another seized engine.

It is a 1641 running twin dells

if anyone has any ideas please let me know

thanks in advance

It might by 2 simple things, your battery slightly flat and the exhaust blowing. Bit hard to say without seeing/hearing it :shock:

It's hard to say without seeing the problem first hand,try disconnecting a ht lead one at a time from the dizzy cap with the engine running to see if the engine speed drops,if it does then that cylinder is ok.If the speed stays the same you have a cylinder problem,possibly exhaust valve burnt.Use two pieces of wood or insulated pliers to detach the HT lead,unless you like electric shocks.
Also check the normal stuff like points gap is ok and ht leads are secure on the spark plugs valve clearances and timing (as previously mentioned)

Did you leave the ignition on for a long time? It could explain a flat battery and burnt out points?

thanks for the replies, i am still trying to find the problem. i think there may be an issue witht the alternator. i used to have the generator but it failed so i replaced it with an alternater with more amps.

however i notice that it does not start working till the rpm is really high. so when driving i dont think it is charging the battery very well.

can someone please explain how to wire up the alternator as i have é" wires joined together coming from the alternator plus a big red one connected to the battery and and the earth wire. the é wires which are joined run to a box with é spade terminals and the cables go to both terminals. sorry i cant e^xplain better. i will try get a pic posted shortly

thanks

Latest posts