help !horn stopped working

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

est gower

Reaction score
:msn4: :msn4: :msn4: hi anyone help as my horn wont work on my 69 bay? is there a simple solution i can do myself ? :msn4: please!!!!!

hi,thanks for your answer. how do i check the horn wires ? i hope i dont have to take steering wheel off as ????thanks estelle. :msn4: :msn4:

Did mine on my 69 in the week! Lay under the front of the bus and you will see the horn easily enough- on my lhd it is just under the pedals! Removed the wires and cleaned the connectors/terminals with wire wool and it sorted mine :D

thanks will try that in the morning ,thanks again .may sound stupid but how do i get my windscreen washer working with air? and where is tube or ? :msn4:

Hello you,,, If you disconnect the two wires from the horn and put a 12 v light bulb in it`s place, push the horn (ign on) the light will come on, if not you have a power or earth prob, earth being most likely. If the light does come on then it sounds like the horn itself is cream crackered. Try it tomorrow and let us know what happens. While you is down there, it may be a good idea to clean the male and female connectors which is usually where it`s gone Pete Tong.
The air to the washers should have a little tube hanging around near the washer bottle with a valve in it, a bit like on the tyres, pop some air in there and you should be good to go, unless there is another problem. If there is,, then tell us what`s happening tomorrow and let`s see what can be done.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Full of Stella and Miss Millies, :lol: ;) :lol:

Sometimes the connector at the bottom of the steering column comes off that's worth checking it's slightly awkward from underneath but in full view from the top if you lift the steering column support plate thingy

ok well i tried disconecting wires then added the 12v bulb,no horn when i tried it and bulb didnot light up .so now ?fiddled ,cleaned up ends ? anything else to try? ok now washer wiper is the piping clear joining black tubing with a white connecter?sorry to sound dull but am trying to learn basics and not have to run to garage every time!!! thanks to all for your help and suggestions :msn4: :D

Can you get a power supply close to that end of the bus ?? Another battery or a couple of wires out of the ciggy lighter, and try and power up the horn by passing the switch just to prove if the horn actually works. Just a thought though,,, have you checked the fuses ?? and given them a little twist ???
The horn is permanantly fed with the ignition is on and the horn button earths it to complete the circuit, if the fuse is ok, you may just need to earth it with a piece of wire to prove where its pete tong.
Sorry to make it sound so complicated because it isn`t.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

:msn4: ok thanks will try a fiddle with fuses in morning etc thanks again estelle :msn4:

:msn4: have had no luck fiddled lots !!!!but horn made 1 weak beep then nothing again .HELP ME HATE DRIVING WITH NO HORN !!! :cry:

Hey E,,,, I reckon you`re not far away. If you got a beep,, no matter how weak,, you`ve just ruled out the electrics side unless it is a very crappy connection. Do the wires / connections seem sort of old and feeble ? Try just carefully taking the connectors off the horn and putting them back half a dozen times and then see what happens, I`m also wondering if the wires are corroded slightly in the connector. At least you keep comeing back and not just giving up, can you a borrow a working horn from someone ??

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

hello :msn4: not 1 to give up easy !!!!will try that later this morning, yes the connections are pretty corroded to say the least but one small beep was a sign to not give up maybe :roll: have just ordered cheap air horn on e bay for emergencies,but will get it going i hope .thanks again for your help ,let you know later estelle. :msn4:

Keep going Estelle,, I think you are so close ! When I say carefully slip it on and off a few times, that`s because if the connection are very frail, you could break them off. Not a biggy if you do. Might even be a good move, cut the connectors off and cut the wire back 5mm stip a bit more off the cover and crimp (squeeze) a couple of new connectors on. You can get cheapo connectors and crimping tools in halfords etc, have even seen a complete set in the pound shop before now. I wouldn`t want to rely on it to earn a living, but more than good enough to fix a little horn. If you can get close to the wires, does it look like it`s got corrosion in between the strands on the end, a bit like dandruff :lol: If it has then this ^ ^ ^ is the route to go down. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

:msn4: oh well ,have given up ,my dad has bought me a new horn and is fitting it soon,so thanks for all your help !!!! :msn4: thanks estelle :msn4:

Latest posts