Help i need drop spindles!!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
stock bay ball joints have about 80 degrees of travel i think. stock height you have 20 degrees of downwards movement and 60 degrees of upwards movement (of the wheel not the bus) what you have done is reverse these numbers. every time you get a sharp jolt on the road its your balljoint locking up. they may take a beating but they arent ment to be stressed in the way that they are being on your bus. worst thing is they are being shock loaded which magnifies the forces applied on them. your best bet is to get it back up in the air asap. i once read that you can have 3" of drop and be safe. thats when the ball joints are at 40 degrees i bothe directions.

Just my 2 pence. will a link pin beam fit on yours?? if so you can slam those much lower and retain saftey. probably wont cost much more than yours would sell for.

uber cool - sorry to ask did you get a chance to check model - found some 195/55 r 15 for front [89] reinforced and will go with 195/65 r 15 on rear [94] reinforced

- not cheap though 130 for front pr [conti vanco2] and 140 for rear pr [cooper zeon xtc] mail order not fitted :shock:

mine are 195/50 15 p600 with 82 loading - which is ok for it's current bare inside imho - but not with the interior in.....

the councillor said:
mate... just reading your 'readers' rides' over on volkszone...

"I am hoping to buy an ajustable splitty beam next month, then i can slamm her to the ground without a worry"

a year or so ago, i tried to 'help' someone of a similar age and experience to you over on there, who was just seemingly randomly buying up all sorts of goodies with a view to building a very low bus with all sorts of brake, engine and suspension mods; no, no, mind your own business, i know what i'm doing, low this low that and all the rest of it, so i just butted out.

over the last few months lots of the above parts have trickled back into the for sale section, as he finds out they're not suitable, or incompatible, and he'll get much less back for them than he paid, which is a damn shame.

if you do buy an adjustable splitty beam, then yes you'll have eliminated the problem of balljoints bottoming out, although don't think that the 'earlier' system had some sort of 'bottomless porridge pot' of suspension travel... but then how are you gonna stop your tyres hitting the sides of the wheelarches ? ah, so you'll need a narrowed beam too. but you'll still get to a stage where you'll run into scrubline issues with the extreme angle of the trailing arms taking the bottom of your rims above the bottom of your shocktowers / idler pin... so you'll need dropped spinndles then, K&L, balljoint or otherwise. but wait... your trackrods are gonna hit your chassis rails, so you're gonna need to notch and re-inforce them... are you any good at fabrication ? have you got a decent welding set-up at home ? what about the springplates slamming into the 'bumpstop' at the back ? you know your driveshafts are gonna hit the chassis rails at the back, so more notching and re-inforcement at the back then.

and so on.

and so on.

typed all this out 12 months ago... got largely ignored :roll:

have you ever wondered why there are so many people eulogising the slammed bus 'look', and throwing phrases like 'slam king' and 'praise the lowered' about, but there are so very few very low buses around ?

it's 'cos it's fucking difficult / a right pain in the arse to do... at home that is... the likes of T2D make it look simple, and i think that's half the problem :roll:

most people on 'the internet', given that it's such a fashionable subject at the moment, are gonna be egging you on, slam it ! slam it ! slam it ! because it's not the done thing to advise caution on such a matter at this point in time.

i don't mind sticking me head up over the parapet ;)

research, research, research... don't end up wasting your money
hug.gif

Well put the councillor I too followed and still have a look now and again at this thread and agree 100% although posting/hiding your birthday on there :lol: shame on you
Freddie
Im sure some one could reverse what has been done and fit adjusters for you.But as you say if it rides ok and theres no bumps or clangs and you feel safe, roll with it for now untill you decide what your best options are and have the cash to do it nice and slow oh and low :D
Theres that many options and opinions out there at the moment on slamming/lowering its hard to decide what to do and when you have there will be a new product on the market to undecide your decidedness :lol: ;)
great looking bus by the way 8)

ground hugger said:
the councillor said:
mate... just reading your 'readers' rides' over on volkszone...

"I am hoping to buy an ajustable splitty beam next month, then i can slamm her to the ground without a worry"

a year or so ago, i tried to 'help' someone of a similar age and experience to you over on there, who was just seemingly randomly buying up all sorts of goodies with a view to building a very low bus with all sorts of brake, engine and suspension mods; no, no, mind your own business, i know what i'm doing, low this low that and all the rest of it, so i just butted out.

over the last few months lots of the above parts have trickled back into the for sale section, as he finds out they're not suitable, or incompatible, and he'll get much less back for them than he paid, which is a damn shame.

if you do buy an adjustable splitty beam, then yes you'll have eliminated the problem of balljoints bottoming out, although don't think that the 'earlier' system had some sort of 'bottomless porridge pot' of suspension travel... but then how are you gonna stop your tyres hitting the sides of the wheelarches ? ah, so you'll need a narrowed beam too. but you'll still get to a stage where you'll run into scrubline issues with the extreme angle of the trailing arms taking the bottom of your rims above the bottom of your shocktowers / idler pin... so you'll need dropped spinndles then, K&L, balljoint or otherwise. but wait... your trackrods are gonna hit your chassis rails, so you're gonna need to notch and re-inforce them... are you any good at fabrication ? have you got a decent welding set-up at home ? what about the springplates slamming into the 'bumpstop' at the back ? you know your driveshafts are gonna hit the chassis rails at the back, so more notching and re-inforcement at the back then.

and so on.

and so on.

typed all this out 12 months ago... got largely ignored :roll:

have you ever wondered why there are so many people eulogising the slammed bus 'look', and throwing phrases like 'slam king' and 'praise the lowered' about, but there are so very few very low buses around ?

it's 'cos it's fucking difficult / a right pain in the arse to do... at home that is... the likes of T2D make it look simple, and i think that's half the problem :roll:

most people on 'the internet', given that it's such a fashionable subject at the moment, are gonna be egging you on, slam it ! slam it ! slam it ! because it's not the done thing to advise caution on such a matter at this point in time.

i don't mind sticking me head up over the parapet ;)

research, research, research... don't end up wasting your money
hug.gif

Well put the councillor I too followed and still have a look now and again at this thread and agree 100% although posting/hiding your birthday on there :lol: shame on you
Freddie
Im sure some one could reverse what has been done and fit adjusters for you.But as you say if it rides ok and theres no bumps or clangs and you feel safe, roll with it for now untill you decide what your best options are and have the cash to do it nice and slow oh and low :D
Theres that many options and opinions out there at the moment on slamming/lowering its hard to decide what to do and when you have there will be a new product on the market to undecide your decidedness :lol: ;)
great looking bus by the way 8)

:D Thanks, yeah i think im just gonna roll with it for now until i can afford a new beam... i know its not the safest thing to drive it like this, but i dont really have a choice :?

I currently have shortened shocks on the front but am thinking of getting some even shorter ones as it has been lowered more since these were fitted... Would smaller shocks take any stress off the ball joints as the ride wouldnt be AS bad?

Freddie :)

Freddie,the only thing, and I think that you know, that will remove stress is to raise the bus or not drive it......

I meant to take a pic of my ones that have visible marks due to original angle, of the ball inside the groove trying to escape. luckily I have dropped spindles now, although in an attempt to recreate the humour that is the Cllr, they are in box in a shed no where near the bus which is in bits in the garage. ETF about 3 weeks!!

I would ask the 'lowerer's' who did the work, not us on here, how it could be reversed for now until funds allow a [hopefully] safer method/option of getting as low as you desire.

It may be possible to temp drill another hole as stated before *if* the centre bush has been freed, not all cut and turns do.....

Dubduz.

All are Continental's, only about 3 weeks old.
Front are 185/60/15 says on the tyre 'Contipremium contact 2 extra load' rating 88T

Rears are 185/65/15 'Continental 4x4 contact 88T. £55 each fitted.

I used to have 185/60/14 82T on my other van, however front tyres always looked low on air. These with the same tyre pressure look much better, so i'm happier with the higher rated tyre. I think C tyres are equivalent to 92T, however could find any of these in the proflie I wanted.

Hope this helps

Latest posts