Help please! Electrical

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scampi

Reaction score
I am really getting annoyed at the moment!

Some auto elctricians say my van needs a re-wire and some don't.

So i'm taking it it doesn't!

Nothing actually works on the van such as the lights, wipers, indicators, etc. Basically all the things that run off the electrics don't work.

It did start but now the battey is flat so it won't.

I'm pretty capable with my own work on my van except when it comes to electrics!

Anyone any ideas what it could be?At the moment it won't start at all. Due to the battery being flat!

But now we can't jump start with a booster pack either as the wiring is not right somewhere and not sure what the problem is!

At the moment it won't start at all. Due to the battery being flat!

Anybody, Please :cry:

Thanks in advance

:wink:

The wiring for these buses is fairly straightforward, a rewire is only usually needed if the loom has been overloaded and the insulation of the wires is badly damaged, or if the wiring has been cut and full of tape joints making fault finding tricky. It can be difficult if the wiring has been altered and the colour coding of the wiring does not correspond with the wiring diagrams. The fuse boxes on these vehicles are prone to poor continuity due to dissimilar metals at the fuses, have you checked and cleaned these connections???. It should be possible to use a multi meter and and a fly lead and trace each circuit back to the fuse box to suss out the wiring. As for the starter problem is it a case of the starter motor being dead?? and if thats the case id check to ensure you have 12 volts to your ignition switch and 12 volts out to the starter terminal on the switch, if you have both there must be a break in the wire between the starter switch and starter motor maybe, Where are you based dude?, my fingers are getting tired, dont know if you'd be close enough to pop over some time and have a look??:roll:

Dude you are about 30 miles away from me, would love to pop over but life is hectic at the moment and a i have a fuel tank to swap for the doc next weekend. I am attending a classic car show Near Whitchurch on sunday at cholmondeley castle in the TR6 and if i have time i may be able to pop over in the afternoon but cant promise, if i can will you be free?, or are you making them chocolate salty balls and working that day? :lol:

:lol:

No mate I am off and will be about. I don't really live that far from Chomndeley Catle either. Think it is about 3 miles actually.

Thank you so much dude and would be a big help if you could and the kettle is always on :wink:

Ok mate will be attending cholmondeley so may be able to pop over in the afternoon, may need a vw manual for wiring diagrams. Will pm you with my mobile no, so give us a bell midday with some directions and i'll do my best to pop over. :wink:

Dumb question scampi, but have you checked all the fuses :?: :roll:

I have actually had a play around now and everything is ok except she won't sem to crank so I think it's just the starter motor now that needs replacing after a talk with James today.

Thanks fella :wink:

No problem Carl :idea: it would be good to see if changing the starter does solve the problem, will keep an eye out for your bus at deva'z.

I've taken the battery off today and am going to charge that over night and see how though goes. If it's no better then the starter it is! :lol:

Latest posts