Help !Rust treat and spray order advice needed please.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Sam

Reaction score
I have just stripped the roof of my bus back to bare metal and am going to re-spray it in celulose.
I have found slight rust spots approx 2" diameter which look like they have been sealed or treated in the past.
I need to know if I should grind the rusted areas, then treat the whole roof with Kurust treatment, let it dry ,
and then sand before adding etch primer.

I have used zinc primer over rust treatment on the inside of the van but have never sprayed a final finish over
rust treatment before so could anyone confirm if I have the right order of application...
Shoot me down in flames if need be but please set me off on the right foot as I would like to get this right first time .
After nearly 4 years into the resto I would hate to ruin it by cocking up the paint job.

So, should I ........

Bare Metal
Rust Treat, then sand when dry ???
Filler
Fine filler
2 light coats etch, no sanding,
2-3 coats high build primer, only sand final coat ???
Apply several coats of cellulose colour, wet sanding in between each coat ???
Lacquer ( if final finish is not acceptable i.e polishing does not give the required effect)

Any comments would be appreciated and I am sure it would help others in my situation to see what you guys recommend, thanks,

Hi mate, im no expert (see my post in General on painting) but i would suggest you grind back the rust to good metal then some etch primer and a skim of filler where needed. Then block it back and give it a coat of hi-build in a different colour to the etch. you can then start to flatten it back with some P800 until happy before laying on the top coat. I then rub this back with some P1000 inbetween coats till i eventually fuck it up and have to start again :lol:

The Professor will be along soon to put me right 8)

Just

Mickey Sam said:
So, should I ........

Bare Metal
Rust Treat, then sand when dry ???
Filler
Fine filler
2 light coats etch, no sanding,
2-3 coats high build primer, only sand final coat ???
Apply several coats of cellulose colour, wet sanding in between each coat ???
Lacquer ( if final finish is not acceptable i.e polishing does not give the required effect)

Any comments would be appreciated and I am sure it would help others in my situation to see what you guys recommend, thanks,

Sounds OK to me, although I tend to wet sand between coats of primer as well.
I haven't bothered with lacquer, as if you get enough top coat on it will polish up

Thanks fella's, have just ground back the surface rust, cleaned everything, and put on 1 light coat of etch.
I'm gonna put one more coat of etch on and then start on the filler. :shock:

I will touch up the bare spots around the filler with etch when I've done sanding.

Do I wet/dry/ block sand the etch before the high build primer or just go straight on ?

Latest posts