Help - won't start and completely dead!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onlybayinthevillage

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
1972 XO
I changed the plugs and leads last weekend. The van started first time after that and i moved her to her parking spot on the drive. Came to start her this evening, the ignition lights came on on the dash but when i turned to start her it just went dead. I've checked all the fuses under the dash on the passenger side and any in line ones i can find. None seem to be blown. I've also put a newly charged battery in and checked all new leads on plugs are tight. Still dead.
What should i do next? I was hoping go away tomorrow.

check charge in battery, check power level getting to starter, check/clean connections on starter, check starter not stuck (put in gear and roll it).

This happens to me yesterday it turned over once and that was it it cost me a starter motor crawl underneath with a multimeter and check the voltages at the solenoid or get a thick bit of wire and carefully touch the main feed to the starter and the solenoid terminal (make sure it's not in gear tho) if it turns over you have a problem between the ignition and the solenoid the starter was a quick swap

All good advice and i'll have a go but there is no power at all anywhere. The lights do not even work.
It has to be a fuse surely, but i've checked all the ones inside the van (i think?)

Check the main feed to the ignition switch under the dash, mine came lose and it sounds similar, lights and radio worked but the starter circuit was totally dead. Nipped up the spade connector and plugged it back in and started first time.

Jon

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Did all the recommended checks and eventually went back to basics and checked all relevant leads from the battery. It was a loose earth cable!!!!!!!! Problem solved. Simples really.

Latest posts