Help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gowans1

Reaction score
Hiya, still having problems with my bay, I have just looked at an old photo of the engine and it was running on a 009 type distributor but the mechanic has now put a distributor with a vac on it. Can anyone tell me what the difference is. Please help.

I have a 68 early bay which seems to have a electrical problem, the engine doesn't run properly when starting off and driving on a low load the vw seems to misfire but when you get up to a decent speed she is fine. As soon as she has start to pull up a hill or struggle it as though she missing on one of the cylinders. We have had a few mechanics look at it and they seem to think it some type of electrical fault. I have changed the distributor leads, plugs, carb, all gaskets. The mechanics reckon the engine is very strong. When she is stationary she revs and ticks over lovely but as soon as I start to drive her she seems to struggle but as she gets speed up she improves. I feel like I have tried everything and don't know what else to try. Please help me to get my bay working properly. Thank you

Are the mechanics that you took it too familiar with air cooled? It sounds like you've gone through most things, have they checked tappets / points and set the timing correctly ?

Also check for air leaks around the carb and the rubber pipes in the manifold.
If you have replaced all the electricals (including the dizzy) and it is still missing on 1 cylinder under load then it does not sound like a leky problem. As above, set valve clearances and also try a compression test.

Re you question about 009 vs Vac dizzy.
The engine needs different amounts of ignition advance under different speed and load conditions. The 009 uses mechanical advance through spring and weights to change the timing relative to engine speed. This can give flat spots at low revs/ high load, but will give more advance as the revs pick up, around 2500 rpm ( so feels like a power surge).
The vac dizzy also uses the spring and weights, but also has an engine load sensor in the shape of the vacuum signal from the carb. As you come off closed throttle there will be a high vacuum signal that will give you some advance on the timing and generally give you better bottom end pull and fuel economy. It may feel less lively than a 009 though, but this is just perceived performance.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Just a thought but did the mechanic who changed the 009 for an svda change the plug leads around 90degrees ? If not ,it needs doing, you can't swap them and just put the dizzy cap back on. The rotor arm will be 90 deg different after so firing order is all wrong.

Do you have a timing light to check the timing or a VW cognisant friend to give you some pointers.
If it is spitting and popping on low revs then could be an idle jet issue in the carb. Please try and give some more details eg, was it working ok on the 009 ?

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Latest posts