Hi-torque Starter Motor?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Monkey Bus

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering getting a hi-torque starter motor to try and improve starting performance (currently very slow to turnover, regardless of battery used, pants!). Does anyone have any recommendations of supplier and or type?

Cheers.

have a chat with Peter Good at http://www.volksgoods.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he was very helpful with me and will supply the starter with a custom pinion throw if required.

i take it you have investigated other reasons for poor starter performance....ie crap starter, bad earth, bad contacts, poor feeds? If you have poor feeds and earths then you could be throwing good £ away as you wont solve the problem.

You can use a golf tdi starter

There are two types an early and late

One can be fitted with an easily made adaptor plate, the other if you fill and redrill the holes

They are massivly hi tourque, geared, dont use an external bush and easy to get hold of, but the truth is you shouldn't need one unless you've got a high compression engine or a problem.......

I recently replaced my started after the bush collapsed (£48 IIRC) and the new starter has a much stronger turnover then the previous one even before the bush collapsed.

As above are you sure you need a hi-torque starter?

Hi torque starters are for high compression motors, do you have a hard start relay fitted?

I have recently got a hi torque starter for my new 1776 as the old one would not turn it over quick enuf to fire.

Got mine from a guy in the states on ebay http://stores.ebay.com/HI-PERFORMANCE-OF-AMERICA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; worked out to about £180 with paying customs and all.

Check the earth strap. should run from the n/s front of the gearbox to the chassis - about 8" long. Don't just look at - give it a tug they nearly always come off the box end

Thanks for all the tips. I've checked out all the eletrics, everything is fine. I have the same problem as ginger_nuter, a new 1776 that doesn't turn over quick enough to fire. That's why I'm considering the Hi-torque option. Maybe a new standard starter would possibly be better than my current starter (it was perfectly ok on the old well worn 1600), but I thought the Hi-torque option may be better while I'm going to change it anyway.

hmm 1776 shouldnt be any harder to start except its a bit tighter due to newness as you say. (unless your running v hi compression)

i take it your battery is up to the job?

do you have any mates you can borrow a known good starter from to help diagnose the problem. an hours tinkering could save a load of £.

not trying to put you off the idea....just worth being sure you are solving the correct problem before parting with the hard earned. In any case I would be inclined to go with the VW starter.

hot start relay?

have you tried bypassing the ignition and ruling that out as a source of current loss to the starter?

Everything worked perfectly ok with the same starter and battery on the old 1600. All that I've done is put in a nice new 1776. That's what leads me to believe it could be the starter that is having trouble turning over the new engine.

There's one on VSi at the moment but a lot more than the Heritage one:

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=520001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts