High torque starter chewing flywheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meowdmucker

Reaction score
Fitted new 2110 engine 100 miles ago and was advised to fit a high torque starter. It was poor quality from the start as I had to file out the holes to fit over the gearbox stds/holes and had to make a bracket to fit all the connecting wires on as the stud wasn't long enough. Anyway seemed to work ok but on removing engine to fix a broken 'heavy duty' clutch cross shaft noticed that the starter teeth are eating away at the fly wheel teeth, probably lost about 1/4 of two teeth in two places where I presume the starter engages , but slightly all around on the inside edge.
Totally pigged off with this aftermarket rubbish. Not sure why it's chewing the flywheel but as the starter is self supporting wondered if this is the problem?
Has anybody else had this problem and does anybody run a biggish motor with a standard starter as considering my options what to do next. Will contact the supplier but not sure I want an equally rubbish replacement.

Latest posts