Hobbies in Winter Time

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subheatadey

Reaction score
I was just wondering what peeps did for hobbies in the evenings during in the week to stop them going insane :D Other than watching the telly (shit all on anyway), and staring at the computer like what I seem to have resorted to :cry:

I still work on my cars and van when the weather allows, apart from that I do loads!

Always building things with electronics and Raspberry Pis, I've got a couple of projects planned and one on the go at the moment, I build computers for family, in fact I seem to be the IT person for all the family! I do geneology, slowly building up my family tree. I also love sewing. Strange maybe, but I just like to keep my hands busy!

subheatadey said:
I was just wondering what peeps did for hobbies in the evenings during in the week to stop them going insane :D Other than watching the telly (shit all on anyway), and staring at the computer like what I seem to have resorted to :cry:

Ade, I been fannying about with my garage when I can but it’s extra shift after extra shift for the time being and a rarity to get home in the daylight. We been fubarred by Covid, been besieged by Chrimbo, and generally furrked about by the Crusties non stop. They’re all out and about Chrimbo shopping at the moment and clogging up all the main roads round here .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,get a few days off soon :mrgreen:

My hobby’s are tinkering in the garage although it’s getting a bit cold now, and walking, trying to get some fresh air etc. My Scottish hillwalking ambitions have taken a battering this year, but I have found some lovely shorter local walks.

got a model aircraft Hawker Typhoon 1:24 scale for my birthday which keeps me entertained. 509 parts and eyes aint what they used to be, so I will probably still be building it this time next year...

Go the gym (when they’re open), spanning on peoples buses & bugs in my workshop and rallying the old quarry in my Audi Allroad lol.

My other hobby is cycling which is as crap as can be for winter evenings :lol:

subheatadey said:
vinvan said:

How do you play golf in the evening, you must have one hell of a torch :D

Back when I used to play golf, it was a bit of a regular event sometimes once a week or sometimes twice or even three times depending to go to the local driving range and hit a basket of balls, about fifty five in a basket most places. This was supposed to keep your swing together when in reality it fine tuned and ingrained all the bad stuff that you already had in your swing because you’d invariably end up secretly trying to belt the living daylights out of most shots :shock: which in reality is the dummest thing you could do. :lol: The ‘’’depending’’‘ bit was how you’d played on the weekend :roll: , if you played well then you might practice well but if you played badly then you’d go up the driving range two or even three times and out of frustration end up slashing like a mad thing which usually didn’t improve matters. All this was done in a protected environment so you didn’t get rained on or too windswept and under the romantic glare of several banks of spotlights ;) This usually ended with an hour or so at the local pub of choice and a post mortem of what was so awful about your swing :roll: . Most activities that have the word golf in the title like ‘a game of golf’ or going to ‘ the golf driving range’ or arranging a ‘game of golf’ involve several pints to lubricate the nastiness of the damned game :shock: :p :shock: A horrendous game that could destroy your complete self confidence and usually but not always a game of opposites,if there’s trouble on any hole on the right for instance you calmly take this into consideration when deciding what shot to play and where to play it and think to yourself I’ll just swing like so, calmly and smoothly with a nice follow through :mrgreen: then you place your ball on its tee, address the ball, position yourself beautifully and as you smoothly take your back swing, ,the little man in your head cries out ‘‘’there’s trouble on the right’’’ and you involuntarily swing away from the trouble with a vicious swipe of the club and a swing like a monkey falling drunkenly out of a tree which in most instances imparts a side spin on the ball and you watch as it goes off away from the trouble then gradually spins and slices over to exactly where you didn’t want to be, usually out of bounds or in a lake somewhere :lol: . It’s supposed to be a relaxing past time :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,bloody game :mrgreen: ;) :mrgreen:

I'm also into electronics/programming and stuff, sometimes on a Raspberry Pi (software developer is my day job). My latest project combined my other hobby of brewing beer and Raspberry Pi. https://github.com/andye456/BeerPiAWS

When the weather is OK I go cycling with the Cheltenham and County Cycling Club, in fact I should have gone this morning. I also try and run 5K twice a week. Just got into trail running so will do some more of that soon. I also just joined a gym with my son.

And also not forgetting jobs on the van as and when, although that has tailed off recently as there's nothing that needs doing really (apart from attach my new wing mirror) and it's more enjoyable when it's a bit warmer in my garage!

Latest posts