hot starting since electronic ignition fitted?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwvanman0

Reaction score
I fitted a powerspark module into my 009 the other day,timing was then out so i retimed it to 28 degrees @3000 rpm.

I use my van for my trips to work only around 8 miles.i stopped near home the other day and when i tried to restart it turned over very slowly,got home and tried it later and it was fine.

Today i went 20 miles and parked,when i tried to restart it was like the battery had gone flat,after a few goes it just fired,got home around 4 hours ago and ive just been and tried it and its back to normal.

Ive searched the threads on here re hot start and mostly its about fitting a relay.ive had the van 12 yrs and this has never been an issue.

My main worry is that the engine is getting too hot,do i need to alter my mixture to go with the new ignition? i have twin 36 dellortos fitted.

thanks,Steve.

Try timing it at tickover 800-900rpm when I was running a 009 on a AD 1600TP its 10' BTDC, I've used these modules & never had any problems in the past, if you don't have a 10' mark its 13mm before your TDC dimple on your flywheel as a rough guide.

Thanks Brett,

will have a good look at it this weekend if the rain holds off.

Going to go back to basics,find tdc and check the pulley notch is in the correct place.

Id sell it tomorrow if it didnt make me smile so much! sick of having problems :lol:

make sure the advance mec isant stuck /sticking so giving full advance when cranking .this will give you that fault.

had the distributor off today.

When i removed the rotor arm etc and looked at the weights to check they are free,noticed there is only 1 spring inside on the weights,the spring "posts" look similar to two "posts" the opposite side,should there be 2 springs? and if so will it make much of a difference just having one.

Ive searched the net and most pics ive seen of dizzys seem to have 2 springs in.

All the reading im doing on 009s makes me wonder if im better spending some cash on a better distributor.

cheers,Steve.

Looks like you found the problem, by having a missing spring your advance mechanism is not returning properly causing hotter running at lower revs & trouble starting.
As your running twin Dells I would stick with a 009 as they work well with bigger Carbs IMO.

Latest posts