How do you go about drilling and turning a front beam?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T2-Nate

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Did any of you document this with pictures?
I'd like to lower my front beam just a tad and do it so that it seems stock.
You know, I live in belgium and all and the MOT here sucks bigtime.
I'm not clueless to begin with but I'd just like to see some experienced fella doing it like it should be done.
I don't however understand how you lower a stock beam by splines, because there's just the spring plates, right?
Ok I hope you guys can teach me a thing or two.
Cheers!

cut and turn is when you cut the centre of the beam around the lower grub screw and turn it and weld it back up so that the spring plates are in a different position to what they were so this will make the bus sit lower

Adjusters

are when a square section of the beam arond the grub screw is cut and then a bolt is welded on to the spring plate with two ridged plates so that you can turn the spring plates either way and tighten the nut so tha its locks into the ridged plate making the bus higher or lower

adjustable shocks

are when you do away with the torsion all together and adjust it on the shocks

hope this makes sense
you will prop get a better description of someone on here
i think this is right :lol:

There is a forum on thesamba that covers the beams, some have done major mods and there is a posting at the bottom of page 17, a pic of a Puma style adjuster is posted. From there it's a hit and miss on the subject. But it mentions doing the drilling and turning with the beam left in the bus. I seen pics on the bottom of page 70 of a beam being drilled.

Hope this will lead you toward your answer.

if you pass me your email i can send you a document i wrote some time ago explaining all that is needed to know to lower your t2 at the back and up front with cut'n'twist. inlcudes diagrams and all the trigonometric calculations and formulas to work out drop per twist and drop per spline on the rear. will certainly help you get a clear understanding in your head of what is done/going on.

stagger lee said:
if you pass me your email i can send you a document i wrote some time ago explaining all that is needed to know to lower your t2 at the back and up front with cut'n'twist. inlcudes diagrams and all the trigonometric calculations and formulas to work out drop per twist and drop per spline on the rear. will certainly help you get a clear understanding in your head of what is done/going on.

[email protected]

Thanks a lot!
I've learned again, this forum is priceless...

Latest posts