how do you wire in a stereo?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbedup67

Reaction score
im a bit of a simpleton when it comes to electrics sadly.

so could anyone tell me how to wire in a stereo head unit to my 68?
an idiots guide simple diagram would help too.

i want to be able to turn it on without needing the ignition on.

thanks
matt

A simple light with tester, find a permanent live then you'll have it so it won't be on ignition also easy to do with a tester, I did mine same way.

Depends, modern radios need a permanent live memory and stuff I suppose and a switch live so the fancy thing lights ups when you turn it on, well mine does and its shite 'cos i have to turn the ignition on to listen to it which is rubbish :(

You will need two lives, one permanent and one to switch it on and off - to be honest you can have them both permanently live or both switched depending on the complexity of the head unit. On mine its on permanent lives but the unit goes dead when I remove the fascia so it retains settings but doesnt drain the battery.

After that you will need and earth. There may be additional wiring to feed an external device such as an amp or an electric ariel but these can be ignored.

Then its just speakers. You can either use the basic wires that come out the back or specific leads out for better power/quality.

Much depends on the set, and how its being fitted really.

Latest posts