How to tub a bay, anyone know or got any advice?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^^

I totally agree with that, Guy from SLAMWERKS was very helpful and kept emailing me about the tubs to see how I was getting on and asking if I needed any advice.

He even text me to say that they were on their way.

Very helpful and nothing but praise or them from me.

Well done guys :D :D :D

Now, how do I notch the rears?

Anyone got any pics?

DSCN1232.jpg

this is a good thread! just posting to add it to my user cp so i can find it again!!!
thinking of tubbing a little myself... maybe something like easy's or little domed ones that fit under my recaros....

hmmmm!!! :mrgreen:

ballbag said:
EL FINITO, bar a little paint and what not :)

Had to do some pretty heavy seat mods though, I wasn't expecting that :shock: :lol:

IMG_0120.jpg

Hey dude just a quick one what did you do with the adjusting on the drivers seat I guess that's where the modding was that you had todo?

Cheers rob

Theres lots of photos of tubs, but what about the doors?

Can you get away with a shallow tub and still close the door? or do they need modding regardless.

89Rallye said:
Theres lots of photos of tubs, but what about the doors?

Can you get away with a shallow tub and still close the door? or do they need modding regardless.
I think that's the idea of narrowing your beam. I know with standard width the doors would need doing as well. I'd rather stay higher as IMHO narrowed beams look bloody silly.

my 2 pence worth if it helps.....

running a mildly narrowed beam.... and 15x 4.5 rims with thin tyres

made some shallow tubs, small enough to sit under the seats and worked out how big to make them by working out the the turning arc of the wheel....

then cut long the arch just shy of where the door comes to.... you dont need to tub right to the back of the arch or right down to the floor either...

IMG_0387.jpg

029.jpg

once welding in the sit snuggley to the door panel.... well one side catches a teeny bit as i welded the tub in very slightly krooked....

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

theyre not the prettiest of tubs by any stretch....but they keep me rolling the way i want!!!

hope that helps a bit?!?

:mrgreen:

thru_a_lupe said:
my 2 pence worth if it helps.....

running a mildly narrowed beam.... and 15x 4.5 rims with thin tyres

made some shallow tubs, small enough to sit under the seats and worked out how big to make them by working out the the turning arc of the wheel....

then cut long the arch just shy of where the door comes to.... you dont need to tub right to the back of the arch or right down to the floor either...

IMG_0387.jpg

029.jpg

once welding in the sit snuggley to the door panel.... well one side catches a teeny bit as i welded the tub in very slightly krooked....

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

theyre not the prettiest of tubs by any stretch....but they keep me rolling the way i want!!!

hope that helps a bit?!?

:mrgreen:

Top work fella how much was your beam narrowed by?

Hello everyone, may I ask how you adjusted the seat? Because of the new straight surface... Greetings Jens 😊

1000174304.jpg

Attachments

• 1000173640.jpg
    1000173640.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
You either need to remove the seat runners or buy new ones and refit one to the tub. The other one needs to be spaced up by the height of the tub using square tube.

I cannot help wondering whether the driver & front passenger are of rather SHORT stature or the van roof is being raised to compensate for the reduced headroom!?!

I also wonder whether one would be able to turn the steering to full lock without the tyres fouling on the bodywork!?! The factory-standard 1968~79 Type 2 turning circle is already very large; about 30~35% more than the 29¾ feet of my 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special"!

I cannot help wondering whether the driver & front passenger are of rather SHORT stature or the van roof is being raised to compensate for the reduced headroom!?!

I also wonder whether one would be able to turn the steering to full lock without the tyres fouling on the bodywork!?! The factory-standard 1968~79 Type 2 turning circle is already very large; about 30~35% more than the 29¾ feet of my 1974 Triumph Toledo 1300 "HL Special"!

I’m a mere 5ft 8 and having small arch tubs in my bus has actually made the driving position more comfortable for me 😅😂

Tubbing is done in conjunction with a narrowed beam to allow full lock and suspension travel without interference. Lowering a bus far enough to warrant tubbing using a stock width beam would cause issues- which is why narrowed beams came to be.

Latest posts