How to tub a bay, anyone know or got any advice?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ballbag

Reaction score
I found this site which is pretty good but I was after some other options too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canterburyfour/sets/72157620187328012/show/with/3650194098/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My bus is low but because it has the T2D spindles and still has full travel it sometimes hits the inner arch if I have a passenger.

Plus I want to go lower so I'll need to tub anyway.

Anyone know of anymore sites that are full of clear pictures?

not mine but some pic's that maybe of use in this thread on VZi

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=314439&page=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Im surprised no ones started making tubs to order.Can't be that hard to produce if you have the right gear,once you've made one there all the same bar the height .VW Heritage £72 for a repro,so what could you sell a raised tub for :idea: ;)

Not just the height (which affects the seat you can use), but also the position (and turning radius) of the front wheels - which is dependent upon the beam being used i.e. narrowed (and by how much).

I was considering tubbing my bus (weedeater & t2d dropped spindles), but after mocking up using one of my 924/944 seats (which have low bases like stock) I found that my direct eyeline was pretty high. With a higher seat/tub I'd have be to stooping to see out the front screen (and I'm only 5'9").

Anybody else faced with the 'stooped' driving position?

the stooped issue is exactly why i would not tub, i would seriously struggle to fit and see.

you don't need to tub it if you adjust things correctly and notch the chassis's at the front and the rear.

n813030443_6340724_4995978.jpg

personally slammed vehicles such as the T2D panel are cool but i would want to drove one for any time, it'd be un comfortable and eventually piss you off!

Volksworld had a how-to article a few months ago on how to tub a bus, they used a spilt screen single cab but its the same basic thing

Ive seen various people Tub buses and with mixed results . The guy on Vzi did his and then has to spend time cutting all the inner structure out of the door .BUT if you check he still has the inner lip of the front wheel arch in place .Therefore cutting his doors up for nothing when he could have made his tubs narrower .Some of the best ive seen so far are Guys at Slamwerks as there are pleasing on the eye and with some heavy seat mods dont raise the height of the stock Vw seat. People think its easy Tubbing a bus just put some 4 inch raised tubs in it will be ok . Every driven your bus with your neck Cranked forward so you can see outta the windscreen for 6 hrs to devon ???

The Best and most sutible tubbed wheels arches Ive ever seen are in Evil Ben Lewis's 71 bus. The are small only an Inch if that, But with 165/50 tyres theres enough to drive it properly slammed and Not raise the seat height .......

You have to ask How low do you want to go .My bus isnt tubbed but is slammed and rides very well which is due to correct tyres/suspension set up

Just my thoughts

Gadget ;)

My bus drives very very well, it has the T2D reversed balljoints and 4"narrowed bean that I built. All I want is to stop a small amount of rubbing when I have passengers as I still have virtually all my original travel.

I might look into some stiffer front shocks first but I wouldn't know where to look.

Hi ballbag

A lot of good advice so far its defiantly a pain in the arse driving for hours with your neck and back bent forward it plain and simple hurts!

I would say that lots of people go way too overkill on there tubs only tub what you need to tub. Check under the arch to see where is rubbing. Sometimes if you are only just rubbing you can tub just the inside of the wheel tub which wont raise the seat but give you extra clearance.

If you need full tubs go slow cut a small window in the original wheel tub and get bigger as you go turning your wheel from side to side until there is good clearance.... Less is more! A 3-4" tub is defiantly reserved for a pretty hefty slam job. 1-2" max is all you should need for most busses as said above Bens tubs are a perfect example of this.

Wish we took more pictures at times as i would hammer this thread with pics of busses we have tubbed. Would make things a little easier. Will have a dig and see what i can find.

Hope this helps

Guy

http://www.Slamwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ballbag said:
I found this site which is pretty good but I was after some other options too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canterburyfour/sets/72157620187328012/show/with/3650194098/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My bus is low but because it has the T2D spindles and still has full travel it sometimes hits the inner arch if I have a passenger.

Plus I want to go lower so I'll need to tub anyway.

Anyone know of anymore sites that are full of clear pictures?

Personally mate i think your stance is spot on :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Thats just how i want the crewcab. Saying that by the time i finsh the chuffin thing things may have changed :lol:

The best one ive seen sat under the standard seat and where just domes tha the wheel top went into, its wicked because they didnt need to raise the seat. Not a clue where i saw it but thats the best idea ive seen.

I took mine all the way across at the standard seat height cause i've got recaros and didn't want to raise those anymore,
11082009176.jpg

31082009234.jpg

I'll be running 7.5x18's with 225 40 tires and found my 17's rubbed before so hence the slight tub ;)

Here are the tubs in my bus. I went 2". I hate rubberband tires so I had to tub it. I'm not too tall so it really isn't that uncomfortable, even on long drives. Nevermind the floor, it's getting fixed soon now that Gerson's making the proper pieces...

007-2.jpg

014.jpg

027.jpg

029.jpg

018.jpg

ImportedPhotos00018.jpg

Slamwerks said:
Hi ballbag

A lot of good advice so far its defiantly a pain in the arse driving for hours with your neck and back bent forward it plain and simple hurts!

I would say that lots of people go way too overkill on there tubs only tub what you need to tub. Check under the arch to see where is rubbing. Sometimes if you are only just rubbing you can tub just the inside of the wheel tub which wont raise the seat but give you extra clearance.

If you need full tubs go slow cut a small window in the original wheel tub and get bigger as you go turning your wheel from side to side until there is good clearance.... Less is more! A 3-4" tub is defiantly reserved for a pretty hefty slam job. 1-2" max is all you should need for most busses as said above Bens tubs are a perfect example of this.

Wish we took more pictures at times as i would hammer this thread with pics of busses we have tubbed. Would make things a little easier. Will have a dig and see what i can find.

Hope this helps

Guy

http://www.Slamwerks.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice one mate, good advice there. Do you have an address for your blog?

ballbag said:
Gadget Boy said:
Just check outthe website BB :mrgreen:

Call me a dick mate but, I can't find any tubbing going on, on their website :lol:

on the main page of there website you should find a pic in the middle, just to the right of the pic is a slide bar, right click and drag down at the top and it;ll skim through the pics ;)

Right dudes, after getting my new brakes, I've decided that when I do them I'm also gonna tub my bay.

I'm gonna got for a 2" tub :shock:, the amse route as VWsarentforhippies

Latest posts