I need a history lesson

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlybaybob

Reaction score
Hi,

This probably going to sound terrible to most of you but....i dont really know what i just bought!

I know its an early bay as it was registered in october 1971 and i have read about it having low down indicators etc. I hear people talking about westy's, moonrakers, cali's etc but what is mine? Also, why doesnt have the little grille under the winscreen?

Here is Bob:

07908eb6-bd68-444c-8170-5f9e0ab60d2c_zps70a1af34.jpg

Hi Mike,

Will post more photos later. I take delivery of the van on wednesday next week so i dont have the VIN at the moment.

Cheers

Dan

more pics? looks like a danbury or dormobile roof? it's got a late bay badge on - wonder if it's had a new front clip - fresh air vents have been blanked off - possibly so have the late bay high indicators, is the badge on a raised section? side pics would be good - looks like a panel van conversion by the rubbers but can't really tell until i see a side shot, i'm in staffs myself if you're local to rugeley.

Dormobile roof. Yes it looks like its had a new front panel and they have just plated and fillered over the air vent and indicator holes, and left the late type badge bulge.

a few more pics:

bob3_zps898a829e.jpg

bob2_zps54c52173.jpg

bob5_zpsc157042c.jpg

It has a sliding door to the passenger side. Sorry cant get photobucket to turn the last photo around however many times i try!

Looks to be an early bay crossover(?) as in small stud pattern. Microbus conversion as opposed to panel van. Dormobile roof. Don't know why the vent has been plated over though :?

Clear as mud???

I googled 1971 T2's and saw one other photo where a van had no vents but there was no ref as to why. Has there ever been a model without vents made?

Earlybaybob said:
I googled 1971 T2's and saw one other photo where a van had no vents but there was no ref as to why. Has there ever been a model without vents made?
no mate they have been blocked off, some people do it to stop draughts and think it looks better

Is a bus with 5x112 stud pattern not an early crossover??
Is it a late early???
:? :? :?
Confused me sel noo :lol: :lol:

Bob, I may be wrong but vans from 1967 to 1971 had a wide stud pattern of 5x 205 with drums all round, vans from 1971 to 1979 had a smaller stud pattern of 5x112 with discs up front n drums out back.

Earlybaybob said:
ok fair enough! this is the other one i saw - its a 1967:

VWCamper1967-1_zps62a5a0fa.jpg
must be a very late 67 then as splits were still made in 67 - think the 1st early bay was august 67? but that one has also been filled in and isn't original

Lee C said:
Is a bus with 5x112 stud pattern not an early crossover??
Is it a late early???
:? :? :?
Confused me sel noo :lol: :lol:

Bob, I may be wrong but vans from 1967 to 1971 had a wide stud pattern of 5x 205 with drums all round, vans from 1971 to 1979 had a smaller stud pattern of 5x112 with discs up front n drums out back.
it's not what i'd call a "real" crossover - they have late rear vents and lights but early fronts, 71 would be a j reg or early k - the earliest k reg crossovers would be around july 72?

Earlybaybob said:
mine is a K reg - oct 71
so it's a full early then in my opinion but if the wheel thing is true (i'm not sure on that) it could have some crossover bits on it? do you have front disc brakes? as far as i'm aware crossovers are 72 and early 73 and have front disc brakes and big rear lights and square vents

I dont know about the breaks - only just bought it and not had the wheels off yet!?! I will look next week when I have time and post some pics again. In summary it sounds like a "1971 early bay microbus conversion with dormobile roof" (with vents blanked off - lol)

Earlybaybob said:
I dont know about the breaks - only just bought it and not had the wheels off yet!?! I will look next week when I have time and post some pics again. In summary it sounds like a "1971 early bay microbus conversion with dormobile roof" (with vents blanked off - lol)
yep, if you're localish and you need a bit of a tour round it give me a shout im in rugeley

Latest posts