ib-bus '71 Westfalia Vanfest 2010 bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ib-bus

Reaction score
Well after not too much thinking I pulled the for sale add on this bus as I found it to be in better shape than the '69 I was thinking of doing for this year's Vanfest.
I also love all the documentation that came with it and the og blue California plates.
It is a very solid '71 Westfalia in Chianti Red a '71-'72 color only , plans are to keep it all stock , apply a fresh coat of chianti, replace all plywood and all new og mustard camper seat covers.
Mechanically is fine , and the good thing is I already have many parts that were going to be used for the '69 so it should be an easy resto.

Here is the link to photobucket with 100+ pictures of the resto process , if somebody is interested in buying this bus please contact me for more details , it will be available for viewing or collection at Vanfest in september or we can make arrangements for delivery.

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/juanjvaladez/Chianti%20red%2071%20%20bus/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

morered017.jpg

morered068.jpg

morered070.jpg

redbus003.jpg

morered018.jpg

morered019.jpg

morered069.jpg

morered030.jpg

morered023.jpg

morered014.jpg

morered011.jpg

morered010.jpg

morered031.jpg

morered026.jpg

morered028.jpg

morered105.jpg

redbus005.jpg

redbus021.jpg

Originally bought by a US serviceman in Brussells had it shipped to California when he returned home.
California registration cards dating back to 1976 :shock:

morered001.jpg

morered002.jpg

morered003.jpg

morered007.jpg

morered008.jpg

morered009.jpg

i like this alot totally as is ... :msn4:
looking forward to seeing the work :D

Will look wicked when it's done - hope you leave the front seats as they are ;)

Thanks guys , today I took the wheels and luggage rack rails to have them sandblasted and powder coated , I tought it was going to take a few days but they will be ready this thursday :D , I'll post some pictures when I pick them up , I have a new set of Hankook tires waiting for them.

Hi,
That`s one fine van you got there,
it will look good with some fresh paint.
You were lucky to get all the history with it :D
Cheers Paul.

CHILDSEY said:
Hi,
That`s one fine van you got there,
it will look good with some fresh paint.
You were lucky to get all the history with it :D
Cheers Paul.

Thanks Paul , it is amazing that someone saved all registration cards since '76 but I'm glad they did.
Cheers.

I'm really glad you make this an annual thing, I would love to do it the opposite way but i don't think a rusty RHD would go down that well in the US :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work and post some pics as you go along.

Jon

faux said:
I'm really glad you make this an annual thing, I would love to do it the opposite way but i don't think a rusty RHD would go down that well in the US :mrgreen:

Jon

Rusty probably not but RHDs are really cool over here , there is nothing like Vanfest over on this side but there are some cool shows.

Today I picked up my sandblasted and powdercoated wheels , I'll fit them and take some pictures later today.
The shop's owner offered to sandblast the exterior of the bus and primer it for a reasonable price , do you guys think it is a good idea ?

Hi Juan, depends on what they blast it with, i have seen some horror shows with the wrong stuff causing panel distortion :shock:

Good honest bus and look forwrd to seeing it at Vanfest ;)

streetboy said:
Hi Juan, depends on what they blast it with, i have seen some horror shows with the wrong stuff causing panel distortion :shock:

Thanks mate , that does sound scary , I'll get more information before I make a decision , he has an old american truck he did I could probably go and inspect his work before I trust him with mine.

Cheers.

Removed front spare tire as I prefer the VW logo upfront and looks pretty solid under there too, also picked up my sandblasted and powdercoated wheels.

fend.jpg

redbus008.jpg

wheel.jpg

faux said:

Jon

Is this an opportunity for the EB parts hunting trip to the US?
How many spare rooms have you got Juan? :lol:
(I do have some spare air miles ;) )

Dirty Harry said:
Nice one Juan, personally i would not blast the outside 8)

Greetz, Harry

Thanks Harry , I don' think I will blast it , too risky.

Loxy said:
faux said:

Jon

Is this an opportunity for the EB parts hunting trip to the US?
How many spare rooms have you got Juan? :lol:
(I do have some spare air miles ;) )

I am a good tourist guide , but all my rooms are taken
scared00161.gif

Latest posts