Ignition coil fail

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is well spotted and attached to an oil cooler with fan above the gear box. Works a bit too well as the oil doesn't get above 90 degrees as the fan cuts in at 80 degrees . Well done

Interesting thread. Been looking at ignition coils information with trying to sort out what problem exists with the bus cutting out and stopping when driving slowly in busy traffic or coming to a stop at junctions. Getting the odd popping exhaust sounds too when idling in neutral and putting the foot on the accelerator. Great going along at speed. Bought a Dinamex coil and I’m not quite sure whether to fit it really. Currently there’s a Bosch in place. Not the expensive one. I have a Bosch distributor too. I will ‘soon as can’ multimeter check the Bosch to see if it is compromising the system. Have been reading up and looking at compatibility with the new Dinamex coil, distributor type, condenser, points, advanced vacuum, etc. within this collective system. Very confusing at times to know what is best in order to keep ticking along nicely. Will keep a special eye on this thread. Cheers all.
Hey you,
Before you go crackers changing this and that, have a real close look at every single joint on your manifolds and zoorst. Look at the zoorst joints meticulously and I’m pretty sure you’ll find one that has “blackening “ around it and that’s usually the issue, if not , then look closely at your inlets. What carbs are you running ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, can’t tooon nuffink wiv iffy joints bud :)

It is well spotted and attached to an oil cooler with fan above the gear box. Works a bit too well as the oil doesn't get above 90 degrees as the fan cuts in at 80 degrees . Well done
Sorry to report this to you but you are obviously not driving hard enough :rolleyes:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, maybe change the sensor :)

Hey you,
Before you go crackers changing this and that, have a real close look at every single joint on your manifolds and zoorst. Look at the zoorst joints meticulously and I’m pretty sure you’ll find one that has “blackening “ around it and that’s usually the issue, if not , then look closely at your inlets. What carbs are you running ?

I had to google "zoorst" :ROFLMAO:

Hey you,

Hi Ozzie. Did a check on the joints a few weeks back. Drivers side had a nut missing (no jokes Ozzie) on one of the joints (again no jokes) Bit of a gap, so replaced and tightened the other. Nice tight sound afterwards. Got a feeling it’s going to be simple this cutting out at lower speeds. Or sharp on the brakes. Happens on inclines and descents too. About 18 months ago I replaced that whole circuit of coil, condenser, points, etc. Carb was stripped, cleaned thoroughly and repair parts in it too. Got a posh fuel pump, the rod, vacuum advance, etc. So it was pretty much throw at it then. I left nursing last July 2021 and the bus, no longer my daily to work, was left standing for long periods. Ethanol separation was what I was worried about. And it did cause huge problems running badly. Long story, got it at least running ok after so many cleaners, octane booster and ethanol problem sorters used. Now E5. It’s just this stalling malarkey! I’ve just written an essay!! Will look at inlets. Just had the push rod tubes replaced. Run a Bosch Solex 34. That’s about it. Cheers Ozzie. Great advice as always. 👍

Or sharp on the brakes!!!

Is it possible that you have a servo fitted ? An air leak or servo problem could cause these issues too as it lets air into the system. I did say to check your manifolds and that includes all that stuff. Might be on your carbs or inlet manifolds.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, keep going, you’re nearly there. :)

Or sharp on the brakes!!!

Is it possible that you have a servo fitted ? An air leak or servo problem could cause these issues too as it lets air into the system. I did say to check your manifolds and that includes all that stuff. Might be on your carbs or inlet manifolds.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, keep going, you’re nearly there. :)
Manifold rubbers for splits and ring clamps checked about a week ago. Left passenger side tightened up a fair few turns. Right driver side ok. Bought a new shiny stainless steel exhaust with new put in all around New heat exchanger system too. I have a stock brake system for a 72. Just had the whole brake system checked and a couple of brake pads and calliper changed. Recent MOT pass too in July. 1st time checking pass. 🙏🏼 Sharp on the brakes sounds bad! 😆 Sharp as in driving an old bus with the need to be thinking ahead and slowing down the gears ready to turn right at a junction that will take you down to the Rheidol Valley river.....but you misjudge the distance by a fair few yards and step on the brakes a bit heavier than pootling to a stop. That kind of sharp. It’s those post long Covid tiredness/fatigue stick around symptoms have addled my brains a bit. I will get there with the problematics of cutting out. Put £60 of E5 in the tank yesterday again. So maybe it’ll get through to the system as a new kid on the block that don’t take any nonsense. And it’s hot weather too. I keep thinking of evaporation but know it probably isn‘t. New ignition coil (Dinamex) in a bag behind driver’s seat presently in case it may be the Bosch coil after all. Onwards and upwards hey? Cheers for all the support Ozzie. Priceless. 👍

Latest posts