Ignition switch buggered. Can they be stripped and refurbed?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredster

Reaction score
After having various grief with my electrics it turns out my ignition switch is buggered. 12.5V going into it, 10.5V coming out. Does anyone know if they can be dismantled and refurbished or is this gonna be a replace job?

Irritatingly, GSF do a 71> one for £10 and mines a 70. Grr!

Hiya Fred,

The 887A ignition switch barrel used in 1970 is a pretty straightforward rebuild. The keyswitch is usually caked with crud and dirt and needs a cleaning and lube job. The center of the barrel houses the steering lock and that can be disassembled and cleaned. The electrical switch is best simply replaced. And interestingly, it seems to be the weak link of the three components. All of the 887As I've rebuilt have failed due to the electrical switch. By contrast the keyswitch is nearly indestructible. They really come back to near NOS operating condition with a little attention.

You can open them up if the plastic hasnt gone brittle, if its looking / feeling at all brittle try soaking in a switch cleaner http://buy.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Delivery/Switch_Cleaner_27515/Switch_Cleaner_27515.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the likely hood is though the contacts are pitted and if your not feeling confident about getting into it as Bookwus said ditch it for a new one....

Many thanks guys,

Bookwus said:
The electrical switch is best simply replaced.

Can you buy these new seperate? As you state, my steering lock and key barrel work fine, its just the switch thats dicky...

Its a real pain to get them out. Mine went and after removing the comumn and spending 3 4 hours I fitted a GSF one. after 24 hours the GSF one broke :cry: They happily gave me my money back but I left it in and the real key is now hidden under the dash as I couldn't bring myself to do it all again

Vehicle wiring products do a good aftermarket ignition key/switch

Seb

Latest posts