Ignition switch Electrical question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manxfella

Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting my 71 LHD US bus back together, and I've got a couple of electrical questions:

I've not got the motor in, but have wired the battery direct to the 2 lives going back to the fuse box.

My ignition switch with the key inserted only advances one click - is this normal?

I've wired in the lights switch, hazard switch & wiper switch. I can only get the sidelights to come on & the hazards. No main beam, no indicators and no wiper.

Is this pointing to a problem with the ignition switch? Does the ignition have to be on for the other functions to work?

It should move 1 click and allow the rest tom come on then the second is a spring loaded to back to 1 after it has started, ie when you move it 2 it shouldspring back to one

It goes to one click, but then doesn't have the spring forward. It just won't get past the first click?

What about the lights etc, does the ignition need to be on for these to work?

on mine all my electrics work on the first click, and its just the starter that engages if you push it further, then when you relax it goes back to 1st click and everything works, sounds like the you have got a bad joint or a short to the from the ignition switch post rebuildor it isnt seated properly with in the lock housing

Yep, my 71 is the same as above with the two positions although the spring must be knackered in mine as it doesn't return.

Finally got to the bottom of this!
I've taken the ignition switch and indicator assembly off to find that the ignition barrel needed cleaning as I suspect some crap / grit had got inside when the vehicle was being bare metal blasted. Once it was cleaned, the lock now turns full forward and springs back - lovely! Whilst it's out, I've ordered a new ignition switch, afterall, it's a real pain to take the whole thing apart, so preventative maintenace to the tune of £22 seems like money well spent.
On the downside, the indicator / turn light switch was completely knackered with wires off and the brown bakelite board cracked. I've managed a source a new replacement for £60 from:

http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/turn-signal-switch-lever-control/switch-turn-signal-guts-only-211953513-gg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The part comes with a lifetime guarantee and is less than half the price of anything available in the UK.
"We carry a Lifetime Guarantee on all the parts produced by our manufacturing arm, Ventura Warehouse Group. Look for the "VWG" logo when shopping on our website, or (if buying from one of the over 350 parts dealers we supply) look for the "V" logo to insure quality and our guarantee. No matter where you bought it (even used at a VW swap meet), if it has failed from normal used, we'll replace it free, period. Limited Guarantees on other parts also apply."

Why are we charged so much for these parts locally - we're basically paying the same price in pounds as they're available for in dollars!??

When you say switch do you mean the bit that takes the key and, if so, can I ask where you got one for £22 from as, as I said above, mines knackered.

The ignition switch goes at the back of the barrel.

The part that takes the key is called the ignition barrel

Sounds like it's a barrel you need.

The part I replaced is the electrical connection:

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/370832802339?nav=SEARCH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the bit you need by the sound of it.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271608222951?cmd=VIDESC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not the easiest thing to replace......

Ah thanks for that, I knew it was tricky hats why it keeps moving down my list and not up to the top ;-)

this will be of great help

http://www.specialpatrolgroup.co.uk/spooky/barrel/barrel.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though the post 70/71 barrels and ignitions are slightly differnt in the locking pin location the essence is the same, so doont worry if you take your apart and it doesnt look like the photos, the later ones have a different ignition barrel block

Latest posts