Indicator dash lights anomaly

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keitht

Reaction score
Wonder if anybody on here can help solve my little indicator wiring issue.

Unfortunately the wiring on my 68 has been basterdized over the years by the previous owner, to the point that when I got it, all the relays and switches were gone or toast and the pretty much all the end connections had been spliced with red or blue wires.

I have spent ages trying to get some semblance of colour coding/striping back, and replaced the relays and switches with genuine VW ones, used, though not necessarily age related, just ones I had or could source easily.

I now have fully working dash warning lights, all other lights,indicators, 2 speed wipers, electric washer and an added a hazard switch/circuit.

When I turn on the ignition, the gen and oil light come on, and also the indicator telltales which then stay on.
The gen and oil go off when I start the engine, but the indicator ones do not.
They do flash on and off when the indicators are operated, left for left and right for right and both with the hazards.

FYI, its had an alternator conversion and some point, which charges as it should.

Its not a huge problem, but I would like to know what I might have done...as I can't figure it out!!!

only reply to add.. I'm sure they ain't directional (on my US 68 at least) flicking stork left or right during normal indicator use makes both the telltales flash, or is mine abnormal?
Not helpful with your issue sorry but got me thinking
L

Mine are, it has a repro indicator stalk on it, which has a feed for both sides.
These wires are connected to one side of the warning lamps and the other to 15+ for the reverse circuit clusters.
Hazards are wired as per VW diagrams, but maybe an internal fault in old switch perhaps, or maybe its the repro switch.

So indicators telltales are directional and hazards flash both and the hazards switch lamp.

I have tried bridging the two tellatales, but it just makes both flash on right and not at all on left.

Its not a huge problem, just a little puzzling.

I seem to remember when playing with mine (fitting a buzzer) that the dash indicator had a constant 12v supply connected, and the flasher
relay grounds to complete circuit to make bulb come on.

Maybe your relay is closed when unenergised and opens when flash signal received. So flashes "on to off", rather than "off to on" !

Does your dash indicator and indicator lights flash in phase - that could be a clue

(If it was that simple your indicators should be permanently on, and flashed "off" by the relay - but may the relay has different connectors for dash and indicators)

..or maybe I'm just rambling on about complete rubbish !

Latest posts