Indicator problems

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsailor

Reaction score
Hi guys! 

Just bought a replacement indicator switch for my 71 bay, 8 wire. First switch everything worked correctly but in neutral position both rear indicators flashed. Second switch as soon as ignition turned on horn sounded constantly. Thinking it might be bad earth? Any help appreciated 

Chris

The horn sounds if the steering column tube is earthed. It is isolated top and bottom by plastic rings.

If the horn only sounds when your new switch is touching the column then you have a wiring fault causing the unit to be earthed.

I know this sounds daft, but you haven't got a pedal lock fitted by any chance, have you? That will earth the steering column.

K

Did you sort the indicator problem? I've just had the same problem with the indicators coming on at the rear when I turn the ignition on. Turns out it was the reproduction indicator stalk that was faulty.
Did you get it from JK by any chance?

I'm curious for an answer too, same reason as above except my unit came from Cool air

Think they've got a faulty batch of stalks, and I think they're all the same from whoever. Guy I've fitted it for phoned custom and commercial and they told him they weren't selling them at the moment as they were getting too many back.

I know stuf had the same issue on a new stalk with the rear indicators flashing when it wasn't exactly in the centre. No idea who he bought it from though

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I have wasted hours on this like you wouldn't believe. I'm of the it's electrickery version....

Any more updates on this starsailor or anyone else?

After reading this thread I have now removed the "new" stalk and rewired on my old one. Excuse the lack of technical terms....

The bridge part that the high beam contact bit is on (the bit that meets when the stalk is moved to switch it on and off) wasn't exactly securely mounted, and also the contacts are joined, as in there's no gap at all.
I'm sending it back.

My old unit needs holding in position as you turn, but....at least it cancels when it should.

Latest posts