Indicator speed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeeetay

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Indicator is blinking too fast, all bulbs are working and hazards are running at normal speed.

Its a US import with the single bulb rear indicator/brake light. I've rewired to UK Spec: installed new light housings and lenses at the back with separate indicator and brake light bulbs. Then disconnected and ran the yellow wire from behind the hazard switch to the brake lights.

It's all working properly apart from its blinking twice as fast on indicating. Is there a resistor i need to add or adjust?

Cheers guys.

Pete

Using a bulb of too low a wattage will cause the indicators to flash too fast. They should be around 21 watts.

Since you say it flashes normally on hazard (when it flashes four bulbs), I suspect that's your problem.

Thanks Tricky, I I'll check the bulbs, although i think they are all 21w, but could have made a mistake with the front ones.

If it's not that, is there another way to slow them down?

People usually add resistors or more bulbs in series with the others, that slows 'em down but it's a bit of a shitty solution. It used to be OK to have zippy bulbs, so all the mod guys put side repeaters on instead of the stock units as they're neat looking. Then the MOT rules changed and now your 5W bulb doesn't cut the mustard ;-)

Peeeetay said:
Thanks Tricky, I I'll check the bulbs, although i think they are all 21w, but could have made a mistake with the front ones.

If it's not that, is there another way to slow them down?

If you are using dual filament bulbs then check its the brighter 21 watt filament that's flashing.
The easy way to check is to have the side lights on and then you should see the indicators flashing a lot brighter than the side lights.

If all the flashers are definitely 21 or so watts and are flashing equally brightly (theres not one thats dimmer because of resistance in the line or poor earth) and its still flashing too slow, then the flasher unit is faulty.

Adding an in line resistor will make it worse by the way.

I bow to your greater knowledge matey :) I was sure people did that... Ho hum, every day's a schoolday!

Happystamps said:
I bow to your greater knowledge matey :) I was sure people did that... Ho hum, every day's a schoolday!

An inline resistor will reduce load and will only make the light dimmer.

To increase the load you would have to have a resistance in parallel ie. going to earth, which would have much the same effect as adding another bulb. A sort of controlled short if you like :lol:

Such a solution may provide a fix but its only compensating for a fault rather than addressing the fault itself.

That explains while trying to sort the front indicators on a friends bug I found an extra bulb on each side! :lol:

Have you checked the earth? Mine have done that if there's been a slight earth fault with the rear lamp housing. One of the little lugs has been bent over and made contact with something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the slow feedback, been on a cracking trip in the bus the last week or two. All indicator bulbs are standard 21w single filament. They are plenty bright and earth well. They are still blinking twice as fast as they should. Exactly the way they might in a modern car if you had a bulb out. I think perhaps I need a new indicator control unit or relay? I was thinking about putting bulbs into the side running lights at the back and piggy backing them off the rear indicators so that would increase the load. There's only room for small bulbs in those housings so it would not add loads but may slow them down a bit? Would be quite handy from a safety point of view too!?!

Peeeetay said:
Sorry for the slow feedback, been on a cracking trip in the bus the last week or two. All indicator bulbs are standard 21w single filament. They are plenty bright and earth well. They are still blinking twice as fast as they should. Exactly the way they might in a modern car if you had a bulb out. I think perhaps I need a new indicator control unit or relay? I was thinking about putting bulbs into the side running lights at the back and piggy backing them off the rear indicators so that would increase the load. There's only room for small bulbs in those housings so it would not add loads but may slow them down a bit? Would be quite handy from a safety point of view too!?!

I agree, if the bulbs are correct and all bright enough to eliminate low voltage or poor earth then that only leaves the flasher unit itself.

Thanks Tricky. Where does the unit live? My bus is LHD if that makes any difference?

Pete

Had some relay trouble myself, similar subject
here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61158" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Liam

New relay did the trick! Now flashes at proper speed and even works great with the side indicators i put in place of the red rear running lights on the back wings. Works a treat, i know thats not stock etc. but its a bit safer, people at 90 degrees to the van on junctions know what Im doing now. It was a bugger getting into the fuse box though, my old van was RHD and a damn site easier to mess with the fuse box without that pesky dash and steering wheel in the way!

Cheers for the Help Trikky2!

Latest posts