Indicator wiring question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resto-raider

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My bus is almost ready for MOT but I'm still fussing around with the electrics. Most of the electrics work now, but I can't get the indicators to work. The PO cut the entire loom that goes towards the indicator handle on the steering wheel. In this loom there are 8 cables, but my indicator handle only has 5 connections.
The colours correspond to the colours in this wiring diagram http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/baybus_6869a.jpg

The 3 cables that I have yet to connect are the red/black, the yellow/black and the purple/black cables.
I don't know what the purple/black cable does. One end comes from the emergency flasher switch and the other end comes from a wiring loom that goes behind the front panel.

The other two cables are to indicate on the rear left and right and are currently not conneted to anything, but why don't they go to the indicator relais? In the diagram they go directly from the indicator handle to the rear.

What to do with these 3 cables?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Rick

Update...

I got the hazard lights working after fidling a bit with the switch. Connected the black/red and black/yellow to the hazard switch on the same connectors as the front indicators and now they work all round.

But the indicators still don't work with the handle on the wheel. Still not sure about the black purple wire.
I will search the forums for a solution but if anyone has any ideas let me know.

Are you sure your indicator relay is working. I think if my memory serves me that the hazards flash from the switch unit.

Also worth checking the solder connections on the actual switch, these often get brittle and break off.

I can hear and feel the indicator relay working when the hazard lights are on. The connections on the indicator switch have been resoldered by me and are in good nick. I do have another indicator that I can try.

Just noticed you have a 68-69, which looking at the wiring diagram has simpler hazard switch than the 70 which I have. It seems that the indicator relay and hazard is combined in one uniton the 68, the 70 has a simpler indicator relay.

I had similar symtoms to yours on my 70 and it turned out to be the relay.

Looking at the diagram the purple and black go between the hazard/indicator relay and the indicator switch.

Are you trying to get the van to operate like a US bus with flashing brake lights or with a separate indicator lamps? If you are converting you need to separate the indicators from the brake lamp circuit.

There is a thread in the technical help on this modification

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8176

Not sure if this helps?

To give some feedback on this topic...first of all I discovered that the indicator switch for a US spec bus is different from a Euro spec bus. The difference is 3 cables extra for the US switch because the switch takes care of interupting the brake lights when indicating.

I also replaced the indicator relay. The old one did work but was a bit unpredictable. In the end I did not change any of the wiring. Fussing around with the wires solved the problem. I guess there where some bad connections.
All is solved now and the bus got it's MOT last week.

Latest posts