Info from you surfer dudes please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gninnam

Reaction score
Went surfing with the kids for the first time last week and really enjoyed it (my lad was standing up before you knew it, while my daughter and I only managed to get on our knees :? ).

I have bought a starter board, leash and cover and just need some wetsuits - which wetsuits would you go for, bearing in mind that funds are tight and I have to buy 3?

Thanks for you help.

Andy

Buy the best quality one you can, not the cheapies you can buy from market stalls. My summer suit is nearing the end of its life now. I paid £80 for it in... wait for it....... 1993!!
Its been used every year since, be sure to wash the salt water out after every session.

I agree with Ant on this, I would always buy the best I can afford.

However I did use a company called "Two Bare Feet Surf Shop" on ebay and was really happy with their service and product (pair of wet suit gloves)......all I need now is a gimp hat to finish off the whale impression :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help guys :D

Think because sizes can be funny (as in getting the right fit), bit loathed to buy over the 'net.
Looking to visit a local(ish) shop in Huddersfield which looks to have a good selection and will give us a good idea for sizes, but can't go till next weekend though :(

Cheers

Andy

yeah, best to try them on - the different makes all fit different. make sure they are tight. so many people get them too big. they only work well if they dont leak water in all the time.
basically you get what you pay for to a degree. bear in mind when you will use them. ie summer, winter. best off getting a full length suit 3/2 mm for summer. or 5/4 for winter. taped seams will be warmer. some people feel the cold more than others as well. if you go to a decent shop they will advise you well.
i have a boy and girls and their suits all get passed down and have lasted for years.

enjoy the surf, dude!

Dont buy the cheap £15 suits from the bucket and spade shops, you may as well surf naked ! :shock:, most modern suits are made of a mix of materials and are far superior to older suits. O'neil suits are good for the money, £80 will buy a good suit and always try them on, check out wetsuitoutlet.com sells lots of new old stock and will happily refund or exchange if its not right.

Check out Decathlon, they have a good range that is well priced. I know there is one on Bramall lane in Sheffield, there may be one even closer to you

ant said:
Buy the best quality one you can, not the cheapies you can buy from market stalls. My summer suit is nearing the end of its life now. I paid £80 for it in... wait for it....... 1993!!
Its been used every year since, be sure to wash the salt water out after every session.
ONCE! :mrgreen: A YEAR

scott wilson said:
ant said:
ONCE! :mrgreen: A YEAR

Bit more than that Scott, but there is not a lot of surf round these parts.

After saying that we are down Devon for a few days surf in a couple of weeks, then going to cyprus diving the week after, can't wait :)

Cheers guys. Some useful tips coming through :D

Will have a look at 'Wetsuitoutlet.co.uk' to see what they have and Ant, enjoy the surf too ;)

ant said:
After saying that we are down Devon for a few days surf in a couple of weeks, then going to cyprus diving the week after, can't wait :)

Just done Devon last week Ant, Woolacombe & Westward Ho was awesome surf, went to Croyde, Saunton & Putsborough a day or two later & no surf at all :shock:

Andy if you can stretch to it get an O'neill Physco 2, had mine 2-3 years now love it.

Regards Andy

What size do you have? I am sponsered surfer ( i get many wetsuits) so i have some cheap wetsuits from the most expensive matriaal. Maybe i can help you out. ;) Support the kooks :lol:

Ands1 said:
ant said:

Just done Devon last week Ant, Woolacombe & Westward Ho was awesome surf, went to Croyde, Saunton & Putsborough a day or two later & no surf at all :shock:

Andy if you can stretch to it get an O'neill Physco 2, had mine 2-3 years now love it.

Regards Andy

you should have done saunton on friday it was a lovely long board wave

Thanks all again for your feedback :D

Volkscrow - I have pm'd you 8)

Cheers

gul, circle one, c skins and snugg off the top of my head. if you want a good comprehensive read try this....

http://www.croyde-surf-cam.com/onlinesurfschool/wetsuits.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jp

i have several mint wetsuits hardly worn, one 5mm winter suit, one 3mm summer suit, and a 3mm shorty all forsale. They are a branded make, Gul, im sure youve herd of them. Also got a ladies suit for a size 10 going spare bought t for my wife but she has never had it on.

PM me if your interested and want some pics

Latest posts