interior light relay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH-I-AM

Reaction score
Evening all.
Ive got a 1970 lefty with the dash out.
I think that the interior light should come on when I open the door but doesnt.
The interior light works when switched manualy.
I had a look at the door switch (left side) and theres about 5 or 6 wires attached.
One of the wires goes to the back of the fuse box where the relays are but theres no relay.
There are 2 other wires that go to the same relay slot.
I ran out of lunch brake by this time :? ?
My questions are.
should I just buy a 3 pin relay from the local motor factors and try it?
Do heritage etc do one?
Or do therse not have a courtesy light function and I have too many wires comming out of the door switch?

Cheers

Rich

I think there should four wires on there, two for the light and two for the door buzzer. Check out the diagram on samba

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RICH-I-AM said:
Evening all.
Ive got a 1970 lefty with the dash out.
I think that the interior light should come on when I open the door but doesnt.
The interior light works when switched manualy.
I had a look at the door switch (left side) and theres about 5 or 6 wires attached.
One of the wires goes to the back of the fuse box where the relays are but theres no relay.
There are 2 other wires that go to the same relay slot.
I ran out of lunch brake by this time :? ?
My questions are.
should I just buy a 3 pin relay from the local motor factors and try it?
Do heritage etc do one?
Or do therse not have a courtesy light function and I have too many wires comming out of the door switch?

Cheers

Rich

Sounds to me like you have the wiring for a 'door open, lights on buzzer' and not a relay.

correct,the door switch should earth the interior light if I remember correctly,the extra wires are for key in buzzer.

On mine the earth connector block on the lhs up under the dash had corroded terminals. I cleaned them up and the interior courtesy light now works when the drivers door opens. It only affected the driver's door not the the passenger door. It's a different connection. :)

Hello
Might be worth checking the light unit it self from memory they have two positive terminals
One from the door switch
Another from the switch on the dash
Norm :D

Good call, forgot all about that :mrgreen: .
Not wanting to connect the battery at the mo as the dash is out.
Hope to be putting it together friday eve.

Rich

Latest posts