Is it time for a new project?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiplee123

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’ve not been on here for a long time
I’ve been lurking in the background , hoping one day I can afford another bus.
I sold my previous busses due to a house move but now the wife has cleared off where the grass is greener I’m hoping this is finally my time to get another bay .
Divorce destroys your finances so I can’t afford much
I have been in conversations with a guy about purchasing this Early Bay.
It is a 68 original paint beige tint top. RHD

Obviously, someone’s had ideas of cutting out the wheel arches and lost interest

What is your thoughts?

Hi guys, I’ve not been on here for a long time
I’ve been lurking in the background , hoping one day I can afford another bus.
I sold my previous busses due to a house move but now the wife has cleared off where the grass is greener I’m hoping this is finally my time to get another bay .
Divorce destroys your finances so I can’t afford much
I have been in conversations with a guy about purchasing this Early Bay.
It is a 68 original paint beige tint top. RHD

Obviously, someone’s had ideas of cutting out the wheel arches and lost interest

What is your thoughts?

https://m.facebook.com/

Attachments

• IMG_9129.png
    IMG_9129.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9130.png
    IMG_9130.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9128.png
    IMG_9128.png
    7.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9116.png
    IMG_9116.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
I have had 3 busses before, done complete interior refurbishments, Had engines out , steering boxes, general replacement parts , but I’ve never been involved with welding.
Although I must admit, I can put my hand to pretty much anything having an electrical, engineering, and some plumbing background

Do you think I’m taking on more than I can handle?

Only you will know that but it can be done on slow time. I’ve just emailed the local college to try and get on a welding course. Same as you. I stripped and built my bus up 10 odd years ago now but I paid to get the welding done first. If I have to do it all again, which I am sure I will at some point. I want to weld myself to keep the costs down. Good luck

It would be a killer bus when finished thats for sure, if you got the time then I can't see it being an issue for you. I mean we can all weld if we are taught, it may not be perfect like a pro but its a 50+ bus with bags of patina so who cares

Depends on the price but I’d question the original paint claim. That sides had a load of filler in it and the front is repainted. It’s not a massive deal but don’t be sold on something it isn’t. It’s a whole bunch of work and will cost a lot to do, even if you are doing it. Worth considering a better shell for sure, I’d say.

It’s been offered to me for £2200. And £500 for a good engine. There is a replacement gearbox too.
Inside the buss is empty apart from 2 front seats .

It would cost me another 400 to get a trailerd to where I live.
So just over 3k . And right at the moment that’s about all I can afford..

Do you guys think I should wait and look around for a better rolling shell?

The interior doesn’t bother me whatsoever,

I’d say so. If you were an experienced welder then maybe, but that’s ‘lot’ of welding and bodywork there to do. Chassis too …

It looks like somebody's started and then decided it's too much work, I'd dispute the original paint claim as well.
If you're willing to take on a load of work and invest quite a lot of money in it then go for it.

There's always an awful lot more involved than you plan, I built mine, stripped back to a shell and rebuilt as I wanted (mine was a US import and I think a hobo had lived in it), it got me through my annihilation in the courts (divorce) but your project needs to be achievable or you'll lose the drive. Too much work will make it a big mountain.

Then after all that effort the engine will blow up (ask me how I know 🤣🤣)

Bit if you get over the line you'll be posting pics like I'm able to now, new Mrs, kids and new better memories !
Pat on the back to anyone who didn't have to go through it in the first place 👍

I would love either that bay or one of the two splits in the pic but I’m on a budget after divorce 🤣
Where are they located and what’s the prices sparky
@sparkywig

Thank you 😊

Latest posts