Is there a 1968 one year only list of the different parts?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barkafer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I searched this tech thread for a definitive list of 1968 one yr only differences, but not found one?
Is there a list or is it a case of searching through and compiling one?
Thesamba is good, but they don't seem to have a list either!

From what I've read just about every internal part is different! It's gonna be a long list!

was wondering if 68 parts manual would help identify some to consolidate a list of 68 only parts?

http://pacvwr.forumstopic.com/h9-type-2-bus-manuals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's also changes within the year - the Rear Brake Backing Plates changed around March 68 from a 'single lip' to a 'double lip' as I found out after buying the wrong ones at great cost.
I think that the Rear Brake Drums also changed at the same time as CSP seem to do 2 different ones for 68's.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53344&hilit=68+wiper" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chad said:
There's also changes within the year - the Rear Brake Backing Plates changed around March 68 from a 'single lip' to a 'double lip' as I found out after buying the wrong ones at great cost.
I think that the Rear Brake Drums also changed at the same time as CSP seem to do 2 different ones for 68's.
Extract from official VW workshop manual:
1154900.jpg

Thanks for the replies fellas! Lets get the list started then!
Here goes,
1. Wiper arms have a pinch bolt, motor is different?

2. Rear view mirror is longer. Sun visors too.

3. Door handles are push button like 67 splitty.

4. Door locks are pull/push on the top frame

5. No tank divider on Early 67-68

6. Brake reservoir is different

7. Master cylinder is different

8. Rear brake shoes and back plates differ

9. Dash vents are shorter by about 60mm

10. Speedometer/odometer is different

11. Dash top is a different profile

12. Ignition is different

13. Westy jalousie window knobs are circular and knurled not shaped

14. Gearbox internal bearings are different

15. etc, etc, etc. .......!

They'll be dozens more I'm sure!

The wiper blades are different in as much as the aperture to fit them to the arms is 7mm cf 9mm for the 68-72 model year blades.
More info here:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=53498" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

door(all)trim clips and bungs smaller,very early (first 2 - 3 months ) handbrake cables ,front brake pipes and switches differ.1/4 light bar on fixed fronts painted body colour as was dash ,front dampers lower pin smaller(changed when chassis /front beam upgraded in early69) I think the diagional arms on rear suspension may be differant ? fuse box ,flasher and indicator relays and wiring loom.A lot of bits carried over to very early 69s so dont know if they count as 68 only like heater cables ,if I remeber correct changed with front beam.I always think of early 69s as being with 68s then 69-71 as simular not counting the brake/body changes and crossdressers are all on there own!!!!!

i reckon if you got every 68 part it would cost 5 times more than a complete 68 bus, strange though coz all years are a one year only when ya look at it, and thats coming from an early 68 owner.

jth

slow-lane-Matt said:
External lock on petrol flap, (and non locking petrol cap) - or is that an Early/Late thing....

No lock on my petrol flap or cap....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I reckon it could be useful if we could photograph the differences. Would make a good reference

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

This is going to be one of my biggest headaches redoing my green 68 and then my blue 68 built in 67. The inside rearview mirror is already mentioned, but the US spec ones have a chromed stem held on by screws and black mirror with no anti-dazzle setting. The 69 versions have a long white stem and twist into place.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=307958&highlight=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the 68 only thread on TS. I have it bookmarked to keep myself sane.

Latest posts