Issues with my brakes!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkish

Reaction score
Frustrated as I was hoping to be at bustypes however if I can't sort my brakes it may not be possible.

I am getting a bouncing feel in the pedal when I brake. I have checked the front calipers discs and pads and they appear ok. The rear appear to be ok but if I'm honest I am not sure what I'm looking for.

Any help / guidance would be appreciated

Didn't think about the rear drums, they are the only bits that have not been replaced since buying the bus (brake wise that is)

It has been sat on the drive over winter due to a flat battery, no point putting a new battery on it until we were ready to use it again.

Thick rust on the sections of the rear drums that have been in contact with the shoes over winter - bet you left the handbrake on ;)

Checked that and they are pretty clear. I did leave the handbrake on for what good that does lol

So what should I do to try and eliminate issues, sorry not really that clued up on these things but once I know what I need to do / check I'll be fine - I hope

Do you feel it in the handbrake whlist driving?

I'd be tempted to jack each wheel up in turn and spin the wheel. Have someone lightly press the brake pedal and see if you can spot which wheel is giving the issue. Prob be a run out disk or ovaled drum...

Jim

Mine was pulling to the left when i first took mine out after it had been sat in the garage for 5 months. After a while driving and using the brakes plenty it sorted itself out. I figured it was just from sitting over winter. Will run it down to volksworld this weekend and see how it goes.

take it down your local mot station and get them to put it in the brake rollers,that will show up any distorted drums.it wont be your servo or master cylinder brake hoses ect,at least not in my 40 years of being a mecanic,but i could be wrong as strange things do happen :shock:

Isolate front and rears using a brake hose clamp on the flexis and take out for a short test drive,youll then know where the problem lied,defo not servo.

Have you tried changing the brake fluid and re-bleeding the brakes.

Cheap to do and will make a difference.

Although it does sound like rear drums but still worth re-bleeding.

Happy to help you with this if we do the brake lines on the Beetle next week :)

Perhaps we should get a reasonable start, and we can bleed your brakes too?

Have been told by two people no to isolate the back brakes and try but highly unlikely to be warp rear drums mire than likely front discs.

I got a few things to try so once I get a chance will run through them.

Thanks for all the feed back though and Hermand get on here more often it's a fab place and the people are great and your van is a true early bay!

Hi Daz

If you are still having issues and can't get to the bottom of it get it over to us and we'll have a look for you,

Was told to replace discs pads and bearings whilst there. Done one side and now have heavy binding from the inner pad!

Is this normal until they bed in??

Oh thanks for the offer Graham only just seen your post, will let ya know

Latest posts