It's just not cheap anymore

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrier man

Reaction score
I was messing around with the Bus on my driveway this morning when I had a visit from a fella I know with a 72 cross-over
to cut the conversation short he mentioned he went to Dorset last weekend it's about 75 miles from us, he put in £20 worth of fuel, he then complained that he had to put a further £20 of fuel to get back. :shock:
After he went I thought about it :? then came to the conclusion his Bus was going fine. :shock: :lol:
you don't get much more than 3 Gallons for your £20. :roll: so at least I'm prepared for my next big trip & bugger that 2.3 stroker I was going to have built. :(

They don't call it smiles per gallon for nothing!
Let's face it, we don't own our busses cos they're economical and green do we? 8)

Marvel said:
They don't call it smiles per gallon for nothing!
Let's face it, we don't own our busses cos they're economical and green do we? 8)
Your right there bud but last year it only cost £30 there & back, :shock: don't know about you I'm just a regular guy on a average wage as is my Wife, still it's only a tenner & ive paid the mortgage off. :D :lol:

This is why we put an LPG kit in the bus, it means we don't have to be so selective about when to use it :)

think thats bad my vintage Dodge only does 10mpg so is getting used less each year,

Pete

Must be something wrong with my bus. On Thursday i put in £50s worth (from below 1/4 to full) but did do over 200 miles between then and this evening and still got more left than when i filled up on Thursday(1/4 left)
Never do the sums but must admit i expected to have to throw some more money away on fuel. Surely we dont spend our whole time checking the fuel guage? Go out and enjoy it.

How to fuel a bus:
Put nozzle in filler, look the other way and fill until it stops. Do not look at the pump. Go to pay - do not look at the till, say la-la-la when the cashier announces the price, key in your pin number and leave. When you need some more petrol repeat the procedure. Do not make a note of mileage between fill ups - it'll just upset you.

ZedBed said:
How to fuel a bus:
Put nozzle in filler, look the other way and fill until it stops. Do not look at the pump. Go to pay - do not look at the till, say la-la-la when the cashier announces the price, key in your pin number and leave. When you need some more petrol repeat the procedure. Do not make a note of mileage between fill ups - it'll just upset you.

This is now the method I will use when refueling my Bus or anything else for that matter. :lol:
Thanks Zed. ;)

I did just over 200 miles this weekend on a mates stag weekend. I drove from Brighton to Lambeth to Dungeness to Brighton. It cost about £55. On the train it would have been about £70 and I couldn't of camped, carried a cool box full of ale and steak and kept warm!

Great value for money in my opinion.

Stuff just costs more now.

insurance £110
no tax
mot about £50
full on AA cover (plus the mrs) £100

so to keep the bus on the road, fully taxed, insured, mot'd and AA covered = about £250.

bargain in my opinion.

about 20 mpg (compared to about 35 mpg for a modern bus) might seem expensive in isolation but compared to overall costs its peanuts.

and best of all it appreciates in value. can't see what people are moaning about.

My T4 'velle cost 3500 of my hard earned every year, works out at 35p a mile, work's petrol allowance for when I used it.....25p. No wonder I always felt out of pocket :roll:

Ours eats way too much fuel :(
Really, I ought to go through it and find out why but in the meantime am filling up mostly Pay at Pump.
This way, put card in first, get 'cleared for 99GBP spend' and then put the nozzle in and look away until it goes click.
No idea how much it's costing, just that it disappears much to quick! :lol:

Fuel economy ???? What's that ???

Cost me £90 to get to Big Bang and back and I'm only 120 miles away....

Probably cost me more to drive back due to the side wind :oops: :lol:

Latest posts