Jan 68 Wesfalia SO-67

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kempy

Reaction score
After a 5 year sabbatical I decided it was time for another van. Having owned a number of VW's over the years I went on the search for a camper as structurally sound and original as possible.

After numerous miles and early starts I eventually located the Jan 68 Westy in Birmingham. Imported from California it still wears 95% of it's original paint, complete with patina and hadn't been welded/

Modifications carried out included a K&L front beam with dropped spindles, 15" crows feet wheels, adjustable front air shocks, AT Gearbox, Twin 40's etc......

I collected the van in October and began the strip down. Upon purchase it was clear that some sympathetic welding was required, the previous owner chose to ignore these areas in order to keep it un-welded.

After some initial welding at the Vdub Bodyshop the van is currently with Stuart & Drew at Midland Paint Werks.

CHILDSEY said:
Nice Westy 8)
Any other plans ?

No major plans apart from a complete refresh of the interior. It's going back as stock but with reproduction covers etc.........

Patina on the outside, as new on the inside.......The only none factory items will be inerta seatbelts for safety and a locking Berg shifter...

Nice 8) !!!
I did my mates bus for him , got al the welding done, not loads, then painted all the welded bits then rubbed them back & laquered the whole thing!!
He was over the moon!! :D
Shiney rat look!!
Shat look!!
But his Mam was very confused when she seen it :lol:
" I thought you had it resprayed??" :? She gans!!!! :lol: :lol:

A few pictures of the rot and lessons learnt.

The lower valance appeared solid apart from some very small paint blisters. Upon closer inspection (screw driver) I found a few small holes. It this point I decided to cut the outer panel to see what was hidden, I was met by a load of rust and gunk from water ingress.

Another small area requiring attention was behind the rear nearside reflector.

Front windscreen channel

The lessons learnt are always replace the rubbers when perished and Wax/Dinitrol box sections......

Dropped some glass off earlier today at MPW.

They've done a fantastic job so far, I am slightly biased since it's mine but it looks the nuts.

kempy said:
Dropped some glass off earlier today at MPW.

They've done a fantastic job so far, I am slightly biased since it's mine but it looks the nuts.

The paint has come up really well, what did you use on it ?

Nearly finished. Past it's MOT a few weeks ago, engine's had a full service and replaced the EMPI Carbs for a pair or Weber 40's.

Just got back from having them fully balanced.

Latest posts