K&L Beam without notching... How low?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humpty

Reaction score
It's proven very difficult to get specific answers and compare apples with apples, so please bare with me here....

As the title suggests ladies and gentlemen.... I would like some visual evidence to determine the direction for the 68.... I know there are stance threads galore around the globe, but few cover all the questions... The look is all well and good, but details are whats needed here.... As an example, Wilf's (gingerporsche) Green Beast is the dream, but I think there was some chopping required to get it there.... I don't really want to do that....

Obviously there are few questions that need to be cleared up here.... Since there is not a lot of real knowledge about these options in this neck of the woods, inquiries are hard to validate.

So I turn to you guys.... I want the bus to sit level and about 150-200mm lower than stock.... The plan is to run either my FUCH's (7's and 6's) or my Merc steelies (16x7.5's).... Having run both these options on other VW's in the past, I know what's needed to make it happen... The real issues relate to front suspension spec.... The rear is in hand.... So to speak. ;)

Thinking about a mild narrowing with this one.... Somewhere in the region of 80-100mm..... With a minimum clearance of of 120mm to the lowest point.

So the questions are.....

Firstly: If I were to fit a K&L Beam with drop spindles, realistically how low can one go without notching?....
Secondly: How does that compare with the equivalent BJ Beam (ie: drop spindles, adjusters etc)?

Anyone got any images to share to support their statements?

Cheers....

Your 68 chassis helps you here as you can get lower without notching than you can on a later bus

Here is mine, 2 inch k+ l beam and dropped spindles,no notching on front

IMG_0592.jpg

Pete

That's perfect Pete..... That's exactly what I'm thinking about..... No notching anywhere?..... What's the rubber your running on the Sprints?... I'm still torn about running wide fives instead of fitting later or 130PCD rims.....

The rear is a different matter. I have notched the back and you will need to if you want to go really low,

For me stick to 15 inch rims and wide 205 but thats just my personal preference, I think the tyres are 165/50/15s

Pete

This is an old shot of mine,

22052009121.jpg

Has a std width late split beam with flipped spindles and adjusters. 165/50x15 tyres. No notching and no tyre scrubbing.

Going back to the title, I'm wondering if there is a bit of confusion going on regarding notching and tyre scrubbing? Notching refers to cutting a bit of chassis away to prevent the track rods fouling the chassis when lowered. Tyre scrubbing is a different and much more common issue regardless of K&L or ball joint beam and problems occur before lowering to a point where notching becomes an issue. Beam width and tyre size combinations create a limitless source of problems and solutions, think tubbing would be needed before notching. Sorry if I've gone down the 'teaching Granny' route, if so, sorry and I've made myself look an arse. Just for a change...... :D

EDIT;
Have edited this several times and still think I've got hold of the wrong end of the stick and have indeed made myself look an arse yet again. :lol:

It's all good Pete B.... I'm not confused between the two mods at all, but others might, so the info is solid..... Cheers for contributing....

In the case of my bus and the fact that I have never fitted and 'old' Beam into a 'new' Bus before, I needed to be clear on how far you can go without the need to chop it up.... My bus is used for camping and towing my drag car around.... It's a worker, not a glamour... And I don't feel the need to be dragging and scrapping it's vitals across this wide brown land, only to have to replace parts every few weeks..... With this Bus I'm all about preservation of the OG style with some horsepower, brakes and smattering of slammed goodness thrown in.... I'm sure you guys can dig that.

So once again, cheers for all your comments.... If it's in context, it's all welcome.

Simon

john the horse said:
If you have a '68 and wanted to go mental low, then I'm sure work would again be needed.

i LIKEY this a lot :lol:

Talk about 'statin the bleedin obvious' :lol:

This is a prime example of P.P.P. ,that is 'Post Pub Posting'! It's easy to come back from the pub, have a gander on here and think 'I know a little bit about this, I'll enlighten folk with my knowledge and the world will be a better place for me doing so. In the process, I must not come across as big headed, but because of the pub, I will indeed end up looking like a nob or just like the big head I don't want to be.'

Nob it is then! :D

Humpty, hey, if my contribution hasn't been any help, then I hope it has made you chuckle a bit and hope you get stuff sorted as you want. Happy days!

Wow it's been ages since I've been here.... Busy running NoH2O, prepping my drag car, car shows, raising a family and teaching art will do that... But I haven't just forgotten about all this lowering milarky either....

004d4985.jpg

As you can see.... It's down now.... Been driving it pretty solidly all winter.... Even more than my Subaru hack!!!!.... I love it actually..... Rides really nice, have only hit the bump stops a couple of time, been camping in it, off roading is the southwest the state (Western Australia)....

b6112bed.jpg

All the doors are rebuilt and locking as they should... Still haven't found a good interior rear view mirror, got the jail bars in, and the rust repairs are on going....

13392c72.jpg

But the time has come to make some more things better.... It's Fuch time.... I have the front all sorted.... 944 hubs and calipers are rebuilt and ready to go on... All adapters and spacers have been created and have been test fitted on some spare LP spindles.... Bu the next issue is the rear.... I have some 7" Fuchs for the rear (5.5" or deep 6's on the front), but I'm unsure what my best options for fitment are.... Redrilling the later rear hubs is an easy option, but will I need spacers to get the rims to fit?.... Or will it be best to just drill the hubs and fit some studs and bolt it all up?... Will everything clear?

Who's got the skinny?

Latest posts