Klaxon Horns - MOT time

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luk0zade

Reaction score
hi all,

its MOT time soon, i fitted a klaxon horn this year to my 69.

will i need to remove this and put the old horn back on to pass a MOT, or are these legal on vehicles pre 1973?

Not legal im affraid. but it depends on your MOT station if you have to remove it or not. My beetle used to pass with one and i always said i would wire it to another button and have 2 horns. Never did.

Suppose I best either wire a desperate switch or get back under the bus and put the old horn back on.

Mines gone through for the past few years with a Klaxon on, and prior to that I had one from a kids bike on the mirror for the pass. If it makes a noise it`s good I reckon :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, ^^^ That`s not strictly from the mot manual :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

I had a mot last week (passed) but had an advisory written to say my standard horn was loud but vibrated. I must of heard the horn as I waited 30+ times going off from the waiting room 20m away with a tv on so it works well vibration or not.
Must of had a gruelling day.

Consult the bible...

http://motuk.co.uk/manual_160.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Depends how you interpret the rules I guess.

A musical air horn will be a straight fail if its a primary horn.
Might get away with a klaxon?

Think I'm going to leave it on then if you guys are passing with them fitted. Will save having to fit new switches or swapping it every year.

my old van used to pass with one on, however i did used to pre-warn them that the horn was loud before they sh*t their pants :lol:

I have a klaxon horn still to be fitted. Is it simply a case of swapping the existing wires over and mounting the unit somewhere? Or is there more to it?

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Foz said:
I have a klaxon horn still to be fitted. Is it simply a case of swapping the existing wires over and mounting the unit somewhere? Or is there more to it?

I'd have thought you'd need a relay off the original feed wire at least to just use the horn feed as a trigger? depending on the draw of the klaxon?

rickyrooo1 said:
Foz said:

I'd have thought you'd need a relay off the original feed wire at least to just use the horn feed as a trigger? depending on the draw of the klaxon?

Yes I agree, thats how I did mine many years back. It runs off the original wiring, the relay is triggered by the horn push but the start up load is taken by the relay, this stops any unwanted sparking/arcing at the horn push. :)

Latest posts