Knocking steering

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BRAD

Reaction score
When turning the wheel slightly left or right I get a knocking sound, any ideas before I go rooting around underneath?

I have original worm drive steering box.

Take a driver's seat, keep the door open and move the wheel back and forth over the straight ahead position- if you can more the steering wheel before the road wheels move, you've got play, usually in a ball joint somewhere. they're pretty easy to replace, but you'll likely need to get it tracked afterwards. It's possible that play also means your box needs adjusting. You'll be able to see which by getting underneath while someone turns the wheel and looking at the moving bits. You'll find a bit that's moving, connected to a bit that looks like it should be moving, but isn't (because of the slop between the two parts). That'll be your duff ball joint.

If your steering wheel doesn't move before your road wheels, something weird is happening- perhaps an imp or gremlin trying to get into your van as you drive along. If you suspect this is happening by no means look under the bus, just drive it out to a field, burn it, and claim it was stolen for insurance money.

Happystamps said:
Take a driver's seat, keep the door open and move the wheel back and forth over the straight ahead position- if you can more the steering wheel before the road wheels move, you've got play, usually in a ball joint somewhere. they're pretty easy to replace, but you'll likely need to get it tracked afterwards. It's possible that play also means your box needs adjusting. You'll be able to see which bit has play in it by getting underneath while someone turns the wheel and looking at the moving bits. You'll find a bit that's moving, connected to a bit that looks like it should be moving, but isn't (because of the slop between the two parts). That'll be your duff ball joint, probably.

If your steering wheel doesn't move before your road wheels, something weird is happening- perhaps an imp or gremlin trying to get into your van as you drive along. If you suspect this is happening by no means look under the bus, just drive it out to a field, burn it, and claim it was stolen for insurance money.

Cheers HS, but I have literally replaced the three rods, ball joints, damper, shocks about 5 months ago, I'll get under it once I man up or it gets warmer!.

BRAD said:
Cheers HS, but I have literally replaced the three rods, ball joints, damper, shocks about 5 months ago, I'll get under it once I man up or it gets warmer!.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was one of those then ;-)

Not found the culprit yet HS, I think it is coming from the steering box, but not really had tie to look.
Busy buying new toys :lol:

Mines the same, changed everything but the box, just got to persuade the missus to part with some cash for a box refurb.

Jesus I've made it worse!!!
Nothing amiss, knocks from coupling above the steering box after messing about looking it now squeaks as well......... great :evil:

Got my bus home yesterday and reversed it down the drive and.... Clunk clunk :shock:
Time to get on my back and see if it's what happy suggested first! The bus doesn't wander on the road and these doesn't seem much, if any play at the wheel..... If it's a gremlin I'll take his hammer off him :msn4:

Latest posts