Lard's 1971 US Import Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liking the seats, really go well in your van and seeing them there confirms they were right to go to you and not the T25. Nice van :mrgreen:

No update for a while :roll: - been using the van and am really pleased so far - further plans include looking at gearbox replacement and possibly wheels/tyres - but for now a few shots from recent outings:

Nice pics :mrgreen:

I dream of putting up a post like this :lol:

cheers! - though after looking through your blog can see and appreciate what you are up to, I'm putting off the inevitable digging into legacy repaired bits, aware I've got a lot of filler in the bottom of the front panel and one rear arch.....when yours is out and about in it's glory mine will probably be in the garage having metal surgery!

So not much update for a while on this thread - have been using the van for the last 12 months or so following the engine upgrade

I had the set of design 90's I bought straightened & refurbed - lovely colour in dark chrome but not 100% convinced yet that they are nicer than the colour coded stock rims with painted baby moons pictured above?:

20140309_141544_zpsbabhb9kk.jpg

with a hint of sadness I had to SORN the van - Tax was due, but MOT required and I'd just got back from Devon and passenger seat belt had failed, without time to fix had to SORN, and then insurance was due so decided to get laid up insurance and take her off the road for work

When I built the 1641 I neglected to remove the cylinders from the heads and check the piston rings where aligned correctly, as i have been suffering from excessive crank case pressure, despite fitting a breather, I really need to strip the block down and see if this is the cause, I'm also running hot at cruising revs of 3600 - around 120C - and want to also look into this

Also whilst the engine is out, my cruising of 3600 = 50mph, increased rear tyre size which helped but suspect I have a commercial box installed with a lower 4th gear, great for getting up hills but I want to be able to cruise at 60mph without cooking my engine!

Also have a sticky brake somewhere that I suspect is a flexi pipe - so that needs sorting, may do some bodywork to tackle rust but really wanted a couple more years before taking off the road for a panel replacement (front is full of filler!) and both rear corners (one is full of filler, the other doesn't have the rear end of the battery tray welded in which will kill the paint when done!)

So:

engine out
piston rings checked
gear box out and refurbed/replaced
poss wheels/tyres going back to OG
finally remove my "temporary" kitchen unit and build a 3/4 setup
fit a 3/4 bed (the one I have fouls the 3 point mounting points so next to useless for carrying kids with only lap belts..)
replace ignition barrel
Fit new pop top canvas and roof bed
replace headliner
replace LB charger

so reckon 12 months to get round to that little lot at a slow and steady pace

On a brighter note - pick up this on Saturday 8)

20140906_151415_zps23aunpqi.jpg

20140906_151439_zps17lso0d6.jpg

Bikeless for 2 years, I'm over my Harley fetish (after 2 new sportsters both had rust issues :roll: ) - gone for a sensible(ish) sports tourer in the form of a Z1000SX

anyway - that's pretty much the update and plan on my westie! I'm sure lots of questions raised once I start the strip down!

Sounds like an easy 12 months for you then ;)

Liking the bike (wife won't let me have another . :()

So D90's have come off the van are for sale :(

I've ripped out the interior to put in a full length unit and 3/4 bed - will put my volksware bed, cushions, westy buddy seat, westy stool and top locker for sale soon:

f419788d.jpg

This is likely what I'm going to go for but needs funding!

full-length-vw-t2-inerior-cupboard.jpg

anyone had dealings with dubteriors before?

Latest posts