Lard's 1971 US Import Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noticed the other night that there wasn't an update for a while!

I've now fitted a full width volksware bed - cushions should be with me next week - will post a seperate install thread on this when I have the pictures as hopefully this will help others when putting it in (took two of us all night!)

Anyway - went out today in the sunshine to take some pics with a decent camera :)

52fa2e63.jpg

9c7e4f8d.jpg

6414f087.jpg

295b54e3.jpg

8bb74e0f.jpg

bdd24a80.jpg

7c4dfccb.jpg

cdda951a.jpg

a2d207ee.jpg

250d9ce8.jpg

9dff6f3d.jpg

70d78a90.jpg

45f557da.jpg

Love the look of this van 8) I think it's due to the same colour all around :D

Well done with getting the seat installed ;)

Went to "dubs at the park" today - nice chilled event - gots some pics of mine and my brothers van together - was happy running stock wheels but seeing his polished rims is getting me slightly jealous!

a2c079a5.jpg

dubsinthepark6.jpg

dubsinthepark9.jpg

dubsinthepark10.jpg

dubsinthepark11.jpg

dubsinthepark1.jpg

Looking good Larry, I like seeing 2 buses we supplied sat next to each other, how is Matt & Turtle these days?

Graham L said:
Looking good Larry, I like seeing 2 buses we supplied sat next to each other, how is Matt & Turtle these days?

cheers graham - yeah, they are doing well - he's currently trying to work out how to fit another baby inside it :)

He's also bought himself a daily - lovely type 3 fastie that's been dropped to the floor - I'll dig out some piccies 8)

You have a great bus Larry, but I think I'm biased having a '71 white Westy too now. 8) What happenend to your white band tires BTW? Imho they suited the bus well. 8)

Airtime said:
You have a great bus Larry, but I think I'm biased having a '71 white Westy too now. 8) What happenend to your white band tires BTW? Imho they suited the bus well. 8)

Thanks! We both have great taste in buses :)

The white bands have gone unfortunately - they were originals from the US so apart from not knowing how long they had been standing around they also weren't load rated for the van - I've noticed a massive improvement in handling now I have commercial tyres fitted

I'm with you - white bands do look nicer - I'm going to get these tyres white walled or may think about some nice wheels, though do like the stock wheels.....not sure yet!

lard said:
Noticed the other night that there wasn't an update for a while!

I've now fitted a full width volksware bed - cushions should be with me next week - will post a seperate install thread on this when I have the pictures as hopefully this will help others when putting it in (took two of us all night!)

Anyway - went out today in the sunshine to take some pics with a decent camera :)

That is a nice bus you got there. How much was the bed/ seat BTW?

Hi!

With a great deal of interest have i read this thread! I have a very similar bus, albeit I still have the full westy interior... I have been considering removing the wardrobe - which frankly is useless - and replacing it with a full width rock n roll - the same as you have done....

I would be interested in two things..

1) how are you getting on with the full width vs the 3/4 you had before, do you miss the wardrobe?

2) have you boxed in the new rear seat? could you post a picture of the finished inside please?

Dub_Dreams said:
Hi!

With a great deal of interest have i read this thread! I have a very similar bus, albeit I still have the full westy interior... I have been considering removing the wardrobe - which frankly is useless - and replacing it with a full width rock n roll - the same as you have done....

I would be interested in two things..

1) how are you getting on with the full width vs the 3/4 you had before, do you miss the wardrobe?

2) have you boxed in the new rear seat? could you post a picture of the finished inside please?

Hi,

I didn't have a wardrobe to start with as it had a converted 3/4 westie bed inside - though my brother did have the full westie wardrobe on his bus - he has also now removed his and fitted a vanwerks camper setup with a 3/4 bed and cabinets down the length of the van, the downsides of the wardrobe imo are the lack of vision when driving and it also blocked out a lot of light and made it slightly gloomy,

I have 3 kids so need the seat space, there is still storage under the bed - though it isn't as easily accessable as the westie bed was as the frame gets in the way but it's still v.useable, and the extra room on the bed more than makes up for it

The boxing in - I intended to get some thin ply (or plastic) and bed this to the contour of the frame of the seat base to give a curved finished and cover this in vinyl, but as it was I had to get something in quick for a trip so just put in some thin ply with rubber edging to disguise my DIY efforts and painted the same as my westie seat/overhead cupboard

Happy with the way it came out - may keep it for the time being whilst I'm cutting holes for switches/speakers and work out the best placement:

3bc92638.jpg

34029a1a.jpg

3d965b6c.jpg

Thanks for your response!

great pics, thanks for putting them up! and you have a really cool bus BTW!

The jury is still out as to what I'm going to do.. part of me wants to keep it all original, the other wants to make it as useful as possible for me and the family... decisions decisions!!

Hope to catch you and your bus somewhere soon!

Bit of an update following on from my 1641 engine upgrade and bug pack along with twin ICT's

Some recent pics - now it's been mentioned I'm missing my whitewalls :| - so a trip to mr whitewalls might need to be factored in 8)

Can just about make out the single quiet pack:

DSC_0037-1.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

In the pics you might be able to see the piece of wood I was transporting to make up a unit - decided that I wanted to put something in the space since removing the sink unit that I never used - also could do with the storage space

Most useful thing would be a fridge but looking into venting for a fitted 3 way and I'd need to cut into the wheel arch for the exhaust so thought I'd put something in that I could store a portable 3 way and have connections for 12v/240v in the cupboard and put in the awning when camped out on gas,

So next most useful item was a cooker - I googled about for a while and couldn't get a Smev small enough in the worktop but did find a "CAN single burner gas hob" that was flush when not in use,

With that in mind I looked at buying a unit but for £265 for a full Kustom Kampers westy clone I thought for the sake of £50 in parts I'd have a crack - have always been dubious of home built MDF units so wanted to make sure it was low key and looked like it belonged - happy with how it turned out (apart from the paint not mixed properly in the bottom of the tin when I painted the door! will need to re-do)

Here it is:

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

Got a campmobile sticker coming in the post to try and make it look more stock but v.happy with how it turned out - need to buy some gas tomorrow and test it out 8)

Santa's present fcame early in the form of new curtains and silent gliss - and I got to fit them too :) - very pleased, makes the bus much more homely now (and beats having to use my old magnetic curtains and gaffer tape!)

Before:
7697b13f.jpg

f419788d.jpg

After:

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Latest posts