late steering box into an early? **I've cracked it nearly**

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trikky2 said:
ibérico said:
Now this is getting interesting! Keep it coming :D I think many of us are watching

Yup :lol:
why is it funny trikky2?

I will be looking at it again tonight, if it means cutting into the lower valance then i may not continue. I would also to cut the hole bigger for the box to fit through the chassis rail but this doesn't look easy with an angle grinder as its tight.
A rack may be easier.

radish said:
Trikky2 said:
ibérico said:
Now this is getting interesting! Keep it coming :D I think many of us are watching

Yup :lol:
why is it funny trikky2?

I will be looking at it again tonight, if it means cutting into the lower valance then i may not continue. I would also to cut the hole bigger for the box to fit through the chassis rail but this doesn't look easy with an angle grinder as its tight.
A rack may be easier.

The "many of us are watching" rang true.

As for enlarging the hole with the angle grinder, you could try using a small or worn disk. Alternatively you could use a grindstone on a drill or on one of those extended flexy drives attached to a drill and theres also the possibility of using one of those side cutter drill bits.

Stuff some rag in the chassis section to stop swarf collecting in there - it rusts like crazy - and hoover out after ;)

Does the inner valance look like it's going to need major sectioning or just some readjustment with a body hammer?
Have heard both but trouble is don't know how overkill / if the valance was original / different years / etc make a difference.

I'm going to put this off till easter now and go down to Croyde for a break.

This is a goer but i don't want to rush it. I can cut it and then put a box in so it is recessed, i have just cut and welded the 10p sized rust out for the mot so there is no great worry there.
I may be able to persuede it with a hammer ;).

I've updated my build thread check it out and all the photos of the box conversion so far.

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28999&p=338763#p338763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers Darius

Latest posts