Latest Camper&Bus

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retro.james

Reaction score
Hello all,

I wonder if you could do me a favour and spare a second to reply to this post.

Basically the new issue has been out for a while now and hopefully everyone has at least seen it if not had the time to read it.

If you haven't it's the one with Dean Bradley AKA Gadget Boy's Citrus Valley Campground Bay on the front.

This one >>>

GadgetCover.png

I'd really like to know what you all think about the cover.

Ignore the fact that it's got an Early Bay as I know there's a distinct bias towards them here... ;)

What do you think about us having a patina Bus as the cover star?

It's the first time we've done it - and it was a big step - but was it the right thing to do?

Should we be promoting this sort of look or should we only use shiny examples as the main cover image?

Do you think it's briliant or just a nice change?

Should the best feature in the mag (photographically speaking) automatically be the cover car?

Would it put you off buying the mag if there was a patina'd Bus on the front?

Would it put you off buying the mag if we had a T4, T5, Type 25 on the cover?

The reason Gadget's Bus went on the cover is A) the story behind it is amazing, B) Dean deserved some recognition for his efforts C) the photographs are amazing (the best in the issue).

I'm just doing a spot of market research to gauge the response as my publisher wasn't too keen on us running this as the cover image for fear of putting people off the issue.

So, does it even matter to you what's on the cover?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter - either here or email me at [email protected]

Thanks

James

The cover wouldn't influence whether I bought the magazine or not as it is about one of my passions and I would buy it either way :D

It is one of the best cover shots though (also the general layout of the cover was very good and might entice none VW camper owners to purchase it :mrgreen:

Keep up the good work. ;)

i think it was a good step on the cover, but T4 T5s would be a step too far, T25s are OK. Personally i gloss over any articles with T4s/5s as i just dont find them interesting, its just another modern van. Dont get me wrong id love a California, who wouldnt.

I like the format of the mag as it is, please dont change it too much. I think Camper and Bus does a good job of catering for the T4/5 folk so there is a choice for them.

I like the front cover layout, think its got something for everyone. I agree that a t 4/5 front cover wouldnt really work for me. Think it makes a great change from the norm having a patina bus on the front cover and it deserves to be there. Shinny gets a bit boring sometimes but always love reading the articles anyway.

Keep up the good work 8)

James

Its hard to comment as a subscriber and a fan of patina'd early bays :) but ... I really dont think any 'policy' is a good idea. The magazine represents all spheres of VW van ownership and use, and cover shots should be representative of the best examples of each genre. We must also remember that the mag must be commercially viable rather than pandering to any niche.
I think there are a huge amount of people for whom having a 'used' van is the only reality and to see such acceptance must be inspirational to many.
I wouldn't want to see patined vans on every cover but the best of the type around, and the Citrus Vally one is just that, deserve the prime spot.

Good call on you're part!

I think Deano's bus fully deserved to be on the cover, and I'd be surprised if your sales figures suffered as a result. Does your publisher not look at your show pic's?? There are more patina buses on showgrounds than shiny ones!

I do think the cover design is too messy though. Do you really need to cram so much on there... isn't that what the contents page is for??

Hi James :mrgreen:

I agree with most and say that its a great idea to feature such a bus and Patina is what the vw world is all about and brings mass interest to the magazine. Something different and something new but still within the theme is never a bad thing ;)

I also agree with greybum ^^ and say the cover seems to cramed with vans and things get lost, simple is good and attraction is better if focused. For example the better tattoo magazines have just one picture on the front and look more high end and clinical where as if you are trying to cram tons onto the front cover it will end up looking like some screwfix catalogue ;)

Keep up the good work and show more of this kind of thing as it really opens what people who are into vws are all about, not just buying a brand new T5 and putting a new interior into it, anyone can do that. ;)

i don't usually buy camper and bus, as i dont think there is as much in it as volksworld ( i subscribe to volksworld with clubcard vouchers and would get camperand bus with this if available)

i did buy this issue to read about gadgets bus.

the cover is spot on because
A) the story behind it is amazing, B) Dean deserved some recognition for his efforts C) the photographs are amazing (the best in the issue).

when i do buy camper and bus i have a quick flick through and see whats inside, any interesting tech articles.

I don't read (in detail) the T4, T5 articles.

thanks Ed.

hi james! personally i think similarly to the rest on here but i do think that you DO have to cater for all aspects of the scene, so whether its a shiny split, modded t4/5 or a patina'd ride they all have a place on the front cover!

i think unless you are all inclusive you will start alienate some people and your sales will probably fall as a result...

i definatly think deans bus has as much right as anyones to appear as cover although i would say that the final choice of cover shot may not show the bus at its best!

and speaking of the cover.... i really like the busy-ness and that you show much of what is in the magazine... in this day and age of faster paced lifestyles you increasingly have less and less time to grab peoples attention... i think the volksworld style covers do this very well!

my 2 pence worth.... :mrgreen:

If you start restricting what can and can't go on the cover you will take away the Soul of the publication.

I appreciate all types for what they are and am happy to see shiney and rat buses featured.

Carry on as you are for me !!!!

Love Gadgets bus on the cover - well deserved. I'd like to see 'VW camper and bus aircooled', and a seperate publication for the later models - which i dont really care for in the same way, its a bit like having a ford galaxy on the front cover :?

Hi James

I have made an conscious effort not to read the other replies so you get my real thoughts on this matter.

What do you think about us having a patina Bus as the cover star?
For me they are as important as restored buses and I love reading about them and seeing them out there.

It's the first time we've done it - and it was a big step - but was it the right thing to do?
YES! Fantastic feature, great bus, great photography, very worthy.....A story to tell!

Should we be promoting this sort of look or should we only use shiny examples as the main cover image?
Yes, but with a mix and match policy. The VW scene is so varied and that is what a lot of people enjoy about it. There is a big group that enjoy the originality and history that surrounds a bus with patina so they should be catered for too.

Do you think it's brilliant or just a nice change?
I think that is great to see that a bus doesn't have to be resprayed to be classed as restored. It shows that cool buses can be just as much about all their history not just a short term resto. I often see patina'd buses as art which tell a story and bring back memories, this is often not there with shiny fresh painted buses.

Should the best feature in the mag (photographically speaking) automatically be the cover car?
Who decides what is the best feature....? You could end up with similar features as covers every week. From a marketing point of view, variety will keep people happy.

Would it put you off buying the mag if there was a patina'd Bus on the front?
I think that there needs to be variety, but I have to say, you chose a good one to be the first.

Would it put you off buying the mag if we had a T4, T5, Type 25 on the cover?
No, as I have it on subscription, i am biased and would prfere a mag with just Early bays but understand that would slightly narrow your market. I have to also say that, as a magazine, you represent the Earlybay scene well.

So, does it even matter to you what's on the cover?
Yes, from an aesthetic point, it is like the first paragraph of a book, does it make you want to find out more? Deano's feature for us was an automatic read. For others I guess they wanted to find out more...i.e. why was it not painted? How is it so low? What other pictures are there? what does it look like inside? etc

Jon

I personally think the front cover is Fantastic and it should have a whole issue devoted to it :lol:

Seriously I do read it from cover to cover and I do enjoy the articles about later buses . Im quite a fan of Jeff Dobbs ( Hes a serial T4/T5 modder) and i enjoy reading about T25s too ( The T25 with the Porsche 3.8 was a favorite ) I enjoy the layout and the content as well as the various contributors writing styles etc .
On a sub note re photographers on another forum Im on, people who arent into buses but read Volksworld and have read my feature have commented how good the pictures are from Steve Sharp and how interesting he's making the photography.
A good example is Guy frm Slamwerks ''Slammer'' framed by the large yellow crane above it . This is instead of the standard front/back/side/interior shots that others use and is frankly getting long in the tooth

If you must tweak it, then please not too Much JP ;)

Gadget :mrgreen:

I think the bus on the cover looks quality and would make me want to buy it more

I wouldn't bother buying it if it had a t4 or t5 on the front or if there's a main article about them in there.

Hey James,,
Pretty much got it covered by the guys, I liked the little tempters for everyone on the cover, and there are only so many busses that are shined up that you can see before it starts to get a bit samey. Good for you on breaking away from the mould, and trusting your instincts with the cover. Reckon you got it bang on, reckon you might have tempted a few new readers too with that cover. The early bay crew were always gonna be impressed with that cover though, so you may be preaching to the converted on this forum.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, :mrgreen:

Hello James

I think that, be it patina or shiny, Type2, Type 25 or others wouldnt make me either buy the mag or pass it by.... flicking through it on WH Smiths shelf is what makes my decission. So, quality and variation of articles makes the final decission for me.
I like the mag very much and your asking for feedback is a good move.

Cheers

Andy

Great cover pic of Gadget's bus, very nice to see a well sorted patina bus represented, and would be good to see others as well. However not exclusively as this wouldn't be representative of the scene.
I think quality buses from right across the spectrum should be in (and on the mag). They just have to have that aesthetic 'rightness' to them. Difficult to put a finger on exactly or define, but I think you know what I mean.

Got to say, although they're great vans in their own right, a T4 or T5 on the cover would dissuade me from buying (sorry, probably sounds a bit snobbish). I'm just more into the air cooled stuff.

I think patina's buses are such a part of the scene now that they do deserve a place.I personally do prefer shiny buses event hough they can get a bit 'samey'. To be honest its more of a stumbling block, personally speaking, if there are T4/5's or more than one T25's for that matter - I just won't buy it,I don't even read an article with T4 or 5.

If its all old air cooled then providing there is a balance of styles & budgets in each issue - That's good for me.

hth - Rob

The whole VeeDub following is so huge because of the diversity , what else supports 4 different monthly mags plus a couple of quarterlies and a long,long list of shows.................worldwide following.
So yes Rat,Patina & Shiny should take turns on the front cover but I think
there is a 'changeover' point when it comes to T4/T5 - for example how often do modern Beetles feature in Volksworld :?: same scenario......... JIM.

I personally think T4/T5s need another publication all together, I understand that the scene for these guys is big and as important to them as the older buses are to us, but the charm just isnt there for me, reading about how someone fitted new units into a new van really isnt that interesting......and the interest for me is what someone can find and make fit in their old bus and fix it up at the same time. Horses for courses i know, but for a mag that has limited pages to feature buses its a shame that many are lost to the new metal......I would also think these guys probably feel the same.

That said i love the travel features and the photo quality is always top notch.

Just

Latest posts