Leaky rubbers boots !!!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davebug

Reaction score
No not wellies,stuck my head under the bus and spotted that my rubber ribbed thingy bobs that join the gearbox too the drive shafts are leaking a fair bit,,is this a major job had it done once but obviously not done a very good job,not too keen on going too far in her with this prob :? :?

CV boots? Not a major job but a messy one. I've only changed the hub end ones though so I'm not sure if the gearbox side is more tricky. I think you can get the split ones that wrap around although I've heard that they don't last too long

67westy said:
CV boots? Not a major job but a messy one. I've only changed the hub end ones though so I'm not sure if the gearbox side is more tricky. I think you can get the split ones that wrap around although I've heard that they don't last too long
Ye they the ones,already has the split ones on guess thats the prob,see about getting the other type fitted me thinks !!!!

Easy job, remove the whole shaft, its a lot easier. Remove bolts either end and shaft can be removed. Prob just need new boots if its been done a while ago.

andyo11 said:
Easy job, remove the whole shaft, its a lot easier. Remove bolts either end and shaft can be removed. Prob just need new boots if its been done a while ago.
can the shaft be removed while on its wheels or do i need to get the hub nuts loose? ( mine need doing too as split :( )

Can be removed on its wheels, you might need a Torx tool aswell, the early ones were allen key fitting.

Have recently done this job and its best to replace all of them while you have the shaft off.
Not to bad a job, remove the 6 allen / 12 point square (8mm) bolts from either end of the shaft. remove the shaft (might need a gentle tap ;) ) remove the circlip from the end of the shaft and tap the CV joint off the shaft, remove the gaiter - refitting is the reversal and IIRC the torque setting is 35 lb/ft

Here is my hub with the shaft out

Picture363.jpg

Picture364.jpg

Just

creationblue said:
Here is my hub with the shaft out

Picture363.jpg

Picture364.jpg

Just
aye but i see you have also "popped" the box out too :shock:
sorry if i sound a simple tool.... can i crack off the bolts with herculean strength and swearing, and get them boots off with the gearbox in and wheels on the ground??

thanks in advance :msn4:

I undone my bolts with a standard allen key with the wheels on the floor.
Its easier if you jack the wheel up though and put the handbrake on that way to get to the awkward bolts you can release the handbrake, turn the wheel to the correct position and then put the handbrake back on to hold the wheel still

Latest posts