leisure battery details help

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pottinger

Reaction score
hi all

ok, propex ordered :D 8)
whilst waiting for that thought better start looking into the leisure battery wantings :shock:

Am i correct in beleiving i need the following

1) leisure battery for left hand side engine compartment (recommendations / linkies anyone?)
2) split charger system from alternator (recommendations / linkies anyone?)
3) fusebox for the LB to wire into (recommendations / linkies anyone?)
4) decide on how it is to be used

I want to run the westys original lighting, stereo, add a couple of 12v sockets as a basic and presume I wire the propex to the LB ??

If I want to run normal plug sockets it need more stuf that i have no clue about :lol: :msn4:

I think as a novice answering the above in real simple terms will help greatly not only me but others in the
future who scratch there heads at the mention of split charges, zigges and sparky electrickery :shock:

I have tried to read from searches but they become a little confusing :lol: must be my age

Only reason i am doin all this and the propex is whilst the engine and box are out thought it would make it
alot easier to install :)

cheers for any help fellas

ta
potts

use a 40amp relay meself,bat on lh side ,fuse box in westy bed or under dash ,40amp fuse from relay and to fuse box.every one has there own way of doing it :roll:

Have a look on here. Goatboy's a good lad. :)

http://vwgoatboy.m.webs.com/site/classic?url=http://www.freewebs.com/vwgoatboy/leisurebatteryinstall.htm&back=http%3A%2F%2Fvwgoatboy.m.webs.com%2Fsite%2Fmobile%3Furl%3Dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.freewebs.com%2Fvwgoatboy%2Fleisurebatteryinstall.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers fellas

getting there i think.

Trying to work out whrere and what is more difficult than you think :lol:

ie, from the LB in engine bay, can I have 2 fusebox's ie 1 in the RNR and then and then 1
next to the OEM fusebox up front ??

Reason is want the LB to power the propex / air compressor / 2 x 12v sockets in the RNR
then a fusebox upfront to just pop the wires off OEM box to power lighting / cd player / new 1 x 12v socket

Therefore the normal car battery only ever powers starter and engine elecs, everything else off LB ??

:oops: or am i missing something :lol:

cheers fellas for tips

ta potts

thats fine,you can piggy back the feed from one fuse box to the next and run the wire under floor or take it under ,last fuse box i used just bent spade tabs over till touched each other and soldered them together .neater then linking with wire 8) 2x 4fuse boxes will do you and leave spare.

67panel said:
thats fine,you can piggy back the feed from one fuse box to the next and run the wire under floor or take it under ,last fuse box i used just bent spade tabs over till touched each other and soldered them together .neater then linking with wire 8) 2x 4fuse boxes will do you and leave spare.

Cheers 67panel, think i will go down this route.
when you say "last fuse box i used just bent spade tabs over till touched each other and soldered them together"
i aint quite sure what you mean :oops:

ta potts

check out the stickies (techinical how to's) at the top of the main page, faux's guide is a help

matt-me said:
check out the stickies (techinical how to's) at the top of the main page, faux's guide is a help

cheers matt-me, i have and did loadsa searches, but thinks I got myself in a muddle, especially as I do not have
much knowledge of electrikery !

Its starting to make sense and does seem relatively simples, but I am sure i will be asking more on this :lol: :shock: :oops: :msn4:

I take it Faux still sells the split relay duberry thingy for the alternator connection ? :D

cheers potts

I did my own install in the end after reading a fair bit but used the diagrams in faux's thread for reference, and alot of double checking. I haven't blown anything up yet and it all seems to work, and i'm no sparks'. I run a propex, 12v socket, interior light from it. And i bought a small inverter to run frm the battery for any necessary 240v charging. I haven't gone the hook up/240v route as i want to keep camping simple, i use a good cool box no fridge.

I used one of the small box sections on the underside of the boot floor near the spare wheel to mount the fusebox and cable tie/run the wires across from the regular battery (there some clips that hold the tar board in place and these seem to be ideal). It keeps all the wires and cables up out of the way of the engine so you don't really seem them. I ran the cables from the box through the hole in the spare wheel well under the seat etc, to the propex. My thoughts and choice but works for me..There's loads of help with this one.

good luck

Al

matt-me said:
I did my own install in the end after reading a fair bit but used the diagrams in faux's thread for reference, and alot of double checking. I haven't blown anything up yet and it all seems to work, and i'm no sparks'. I run a propex, 12v socket, interior light from it. And i bought a small inverter to run frm the battery for any necessary 240v charging. I haven't gone the hook up/240v route as i want to keep camping simple, i use a good cool box no fridge.

I used one of the small box sections on the underside of the boot floor near the spare wheel to mount the fusebox and cable tie/run the wires across from the regular battery (there some clips that hold the tar board in place and these seem to be ideal). It keeps all the wires and cables up out of the way of the engine so you don't really seem them. I ran the cables from the box through the hole in the spare wheel well under the seat etc, to the propex. My thoughts and choice but works for me..There's loads of help with this one.

good luck

Al

Cheers Al

Can't wait to go campin now :lol: bring on the summer

Ta for all the help

Potts

Hi,

Here's another link for a mooch about on.

http://deepredmotorhome.com/electrics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am trying to get my head around this same stuff, i already have the split charge and leisure battery in the engine bay and fuse box and inverter under the bed, looking to fit now a mains hook up and zig which i have, also under the bed along with the propex sat waiting, and the compresor fridge, and the 80W solar panels for off grid, which i am saving up for, but, like you said, still need to get my head around it all.

I like the idea of running the radio and interior lights etc off the leisure battery, and the other functions for the starter battery

More things to work out! Keep us posted of your progress!

Cheers!

Alistair

Hmm - where did my post go? I'll try again....

Feel free to pop round and have a look at mine. I've installed a mains hook-up with consumer unit, plus a charger and leisure battery in the engine bay. Fuse box under the dash for ease of connecting up westy lights, radio etc. Fridge powered off 12V. Two mains sockets on kitchen unit. You can see the installation in my gallery thread.

Cheers,
Nick

cheers aogrady and Nick

i will more than likely take you up on that, just gona
get all the parts first then scratch my head :lol:

My first job is to 100% decide how i will use it which will
dictate where it all goes. thats a feww weeks of deliberating :lol:

be in touch fellas,
cheers
potts

Well, I got my battery from Barry Sharman's - they give a Suffolk Bugrs discount! I got a CTEK charger online -went for a marine version as it was the right rating and waterproof too. Got the consumer unit from Screwfix - make sure you include an RCD. Modified the existing hookup. And got the fuse box and wiring from Vehicle Wiring Products online.

Cheers,
Nick

Guys is this a fair sumation of how the relay method works. Only when engine is running is the relay energised making the contact that allows power to the LB. Engine off relay de-energised and the LB can not drain the starter battery?

Latest posts