"LemurBus" Empty Garage Syndrome

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemur

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So some of you know me/have exchanged parts/sold/bought/advised me/and generally been cool folk with a passion for rusty old buses...for what seems like a lifetime and truth be told I've only been a member here since 2007, having imported my 68 westy in 2006 (California, like so many). I used the bus for 5yrs as my daily driver, for regular camping trips and the odd vw show with my then girlfriend, now awesome wife, during that initial time we both had ideas and dreams about how we would like the bus to look both inside and out.

The bus has been off the road now for getting on 3yrs, during this time she has been taken to full bare metal, welded (tiny amount :D ), lead loaded, painted in the original colour and countless parts refurbished, replaced and sourced. With intention to keep her exterior pretty much 'stock' (only lower lol) and a subtle modern/retro twist for the interior with a 'browns and creams' theme.

My reason for starting this thread is realising I keep starting a thread on this and that, most recently my headliner project and the one about my louvre window... knowing I'm doing nothing that most of you haven't done before with these projects I've decided to consolidate all my waffle into one place :?

Before I go any further with this post I must 'tip my hat' to a bloke who started out as the guy who would weld and prep my bus and has ended up a dear friend, so much so he attended my wedding and I've know his lovely daughter her whole life!.... and all through vw's... all round winner and vw restorer Mr Matt Gill-Tonicman on here http://www.vwbuswelding.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This thread will mostly be pictures and all in the wrong order since the bus is nearly done, join in, feel free to criticize or whatever. I'll just be happy to only have to update this one thread.

To start with I'll hunt out the oldest pic I can find of the bus.

to be continued....

Lemur

Marriedblonde said:
Stick this in the gallery ;-)

Funily enough the guy that started working on my bus when I imported has turned out to be a very good mate. Must be a dub thing :)

Yep better off in the gallery,cheers.

here are the few shots I have when the bus was in cali just prior to import 2006

cG9Jz.jpg

sBX39.jpg

jlpqG.jpg

and some at rtth 2008 i think :oops:

lzHue.jpg

Me and the wife in these next 2 (oh my god that seems like a lifetime ago!)

rl6QS.jpg

bDVmY.jpg

FjzYK.jpg

and lastly for today.. some good friends of ours
StZnl.jpg

more soon folks

gninnam said:
Nice story so far :D
Keep the pics and updates coming though!

Cheers dude! shall do...

Managed to find one of a young me on the day I collected her,which was a 300+ mile drive and my first time in a left hooker...the whole way thinking 'should it really be this slow and loud lol ?' but a beaming smile regardless!

7MeN6.jpg

followed by a few "honesty shots" detailing the worst dents, passenger door, slider, rear corner and front panel which appears to have been crashed into something while it had the spare mounted there :cry:

me4zo.jpg

iCOGD.jpg

ECXPF.jpg

4nGaq.jpg

One of the first jobs I did was to upgrade to alternator,nice easy task and the start of my developing enthusiasm for getting stuck in. here are a few pic's...

KN1Hi.jpg

via6S.jpg

uQKl0.jpg

More soon... :D

Marriedblonde said:
It seems all buses from the states have dented rear corners!! Both of mine where bad

Yep you're right there, these are some of the areas that were lead-loaded by Matt, I'm waiting for him to send me some of his photos of the early resto and then i'll pop em up :D

Marriedblonde said:
Have a look at my meet poppy thread in the gallery - mine where really bad but the boys at midland paintwerks have sorted them out for me. Fair bit of lead on mine now :)

Wow Dude, just spent an hour reading your 'poppy' thread!
-And here was I thinking my bus was bad, that said.. they seem to have done you a solid at MP and I'm sure you're gonna be 100% happy when it's done.

3yrs on and I'm just putting mine back together with a smile on my face, I know how excited you must be.. when I first saw her fully painted I was ecstatic, It will all be worth it!!

Bookmarked your thread :)
L

I didn't think my bus was that bad...

I knew it had been involved in a knock on the drivers side but I didn;t realise quite how bad that knock had been.

Thankfully there wasn't much rust...

But you are right the guys at midlands have done a fantastic job so far.

I'm like a kid at a christmas at the moment :) Can't wait to see her all fresh and striaght and shiny!!!!

J.

Ok so while we wait on the older pics of metal work and resto proper (tonicman, so very punctual lol)

I'll show you what i've been on with today :p

E8LJ4.jpg

Cs1Uh.jpg

eJoh1.jpg

JEtAS.jpg

yfGNL.jpg

Qi18h.jpg

SXgof.jpg

PIe1W.jpg

9q8Qo.jpg

y638h.jpg

cannot find pictures of the two dogleg bottoms that needed replacing and the other window frame repairs

Latest posts