"LemurBus" Empty Garage Syndrome

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gninnam said:
Nice work - should look like it belongs when finished :D

Thanks,
Although the interior is very 'non stock' I just couldn't get along with the ugly after market boss.. this is the best option as far as I can see... not sure if i should polish it up or paint it pearl white :?: (the indicator switch housing is painted)

cheers for checking in
Liam

Ok so finally got the boss spacer knocked up.. made it from steel, has slight radius on both inside and outside bottom edges to suit the shape of the vw casting that was once a steering wheel centre. holes line up spot on with the wheel :)
here it is...

UpTtI.jpg

bottom with the rads

2SjGZ.jpg

and inside the home-brewed boss

EmOLc.jpg

8P3ND.jpg

Made the spacer as large as possible so has to get maximum contact with the steering wheel, it is also 1mm taller than the alloy boss to avoid any pressure being applied to the 'boss rim' :lol:

And the reason for all this fookery

AQj5f.jpg

KTGoQ.jpg

The wheel made by "grant" and is stainless and I think oak, it's 15" so maybe the steering will be a tad more difficult but i ain't scared and didn't notice any difference on a quick blast :lol: and it could always be changed I guess....

I'm very happy with the look, I know it's a bit bling for some folks but it's my bus (and by that I mean the wifes and mine :oops: )

more soon
Liam

lemur said:
Aircooler said:
Really nice bus! Great work! The dashboard looks absolutely fabulous! Can you tell me where you got your seatbelts from?
Best regards from Switzerland
Reto

Thank you for the kind words :)
Managed to find a link to them for you http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=ZVW20AAL" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I ordered them through a UK site, of which completely slips my mind..sorry :oops:
hope that helps a little..
Liam

Thank you! :) Will order some of this seat belts for my bay!
Best regards
Reto

My wonderful wife has bought me this radio! it's on its way here as i type ..I'm over the moon :bliss:

Gonna run the mp3 lead to the ashtray and create a pull out docking point, I'm already thinking about using fiberglass to make the dock and leather matching the dash to finish it..love this kind of stuff!

zs7uk.jpg

I am a feeling a very lucky boy indeed..

Liam

You are very lucky ;)

Nice looking radio - will look lush in the dash :mrgreen:

Got one of these this morning! :bliss:
and with a big empty white box on the right. :)

QtZxw.jpg

I spent the following hour or so just driving around enjoying the familiar 'have to know it' gear changes and rattles, got lots of attention and smiles :) Chatted with a nice old lady who told me her late husband had also owned a 68 bus back in the day and how they spent many happy holiday in it.... Then called in on a good friend to show off and check out his ford pop restoration, although I'm not really a fan of the fords it was nice to see him and somebody as enthused about an old vehicle as us lot on here
! felt so good to drive the bus after what feels like forever, three years is too long. I really have had such a lovely day so far.

Here she is on our street. no she is not bashed up on the front panel its the sun gleaming :lol:
eCb1N.jpg

At this point I feel obliged to give a further mention to Matt. Not only has he been a brilliant/professional/knowledgeable gezzer throughout this long restoration, this week he has given his time to cure a few last minute electrical niggles at the drop of an hat! Thanks man :!:
And because of that I now have one sticker on the bus that isn't from the 60's/70's
DLKT8.jpg

More to see soon.. next project is: Harrington stainless bumpers fitting. (I know, gonna be a nightmare). Oh and to install the old radio....

Have a great weekend!
Liam

68_early_bay said:
Wow Liam looking the biz and congrats on the mot 8) looking forward to seeing you out and about locally :mrgreen:
Myvanway said:

Thanks Guys :) feels really good to be back on the road.. Can't wait now for the upholsterer to ring and tell me my interior panels are ready oh and this rain to p*ss off!

Liam

mike202 said:
Van looks lovely, some really nice touches, nice to get an MOT with no advisories!
:D
Resto-raider said:
What a great looking van this is. I really like what you did to the dash and that steering wheel looks the bomb. I want one!

Thanks guys :)

Finally got around to installing the radio today :)
Works perfectly too, all frequencies, back-light, DIN with Ipod.. oh and looks 'the danglers' :mrgreen:

First song was 'Roadhouse blues' the Doors
take a look..
cXg2n.jpg

2KBfQ.jpg

The speaker mountings are only for now, till the door cards etc turn up

7pIce.jpg

more soon
Liam

mike202 said:
That's a lovely radio, very nice. 8)

Goods pics as well, don't worry though I won't pinch them, I already have a radio :lol:

But not quite as nice as that one.

Why thank you very much kind sir! :)
L

Ok so I've a few days off work so heading down to Matts workshop to do a few jobs on the bus, If time allows one of those jobs will be the s/s bumpers :)

Here is the only halfway decent picture I could find of them on a bus
hCyNb.jpg

Latest posts